Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pointless question

rsnik

Just went out and mowed with the 7013 and my gosh, it quit again. The problem was defective points in the past followed by condenser poop out. The points were in adjustment but sparking like crazy. I bought a hand full of new condensers and tried putting another new condenser on. Bingo! Runs fine again (for now at least). The condenser I replaced lasted and hour or two (did not wash the tractor or leave it in rain and do not think I contaminated or shorted out the points box in any way). Is this just a case of "stuff happens" or does it indicate any likely problem causing this? Also someone recommended and I frequently hear mention of an electronic module that replaces the points/condenser and installs right in the points box and supposedly I don't have to repolarize the flywheel to make it work? The key words to search the forums with for this procedure or any other input would be much appreciated. This is on a stock Briggs 302431, Date code 1975. Should I wait to see if more condensers get eaten before going pointless?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRONIC-IGNITION-MODULE-REPLACES-POINTS-CONDENSOR_W0QQitemZ120161000227QQihZ002QQcategoryZ50377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (not recommending this seller or not, but that's the module you're asking about) I think you got a bad condenser. I hope your handful isn't from the same lot. Heat will kill em too, but unless you have it mounted on the muffler or something not that fast. -Don

quote:
Originally posted by callwill
Can these be used on a twin cyl onan?
Correct me if I am wrong, but a 180 degree opposed twin engine fires both cylinders together, so why would a electronic trigger work?

Isn`t the onan a battery ignition? If so the electronic ignition modules used in the briggs are for magneto type ignition and won`t work on battery type ignitions such as the k series kohlers and flywheels with multiple magnets.

I was just going by what i read. Now, of course:O, i can't find what I read. This, http://www.briggs.learnsmallenginerepair.com/BSIGNITION.htm , says it does work with older L head twins.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Bob, "so why would a electronic trigger work?" Did you mean to say, why wouldn't a electronic trigger work?
Yep, the correct word is wouldn't and on mag fired engines only, not battery /coil fired., sorry.

Think RayS is correct. For engines with automotive coil/battery powered ignition systems there is a device called the Points Eliminator. Ref: ENGINE POINTS ELIMINATOR $15.95 Convert your points-type ignition engine to state-of-the-art C.D. Solid State dependability and performance. You will find it easy to hand start your engine. No batteries or added coils. Very small and light. "http://bennettbuilt.com/page11.htm"

Thank you BLT for kindly offering to send me one of your spares. I clicked on duckman's link and had already ordered one. Thanks 4Xbill for that link. Anytime anybody puts up a link I copy it and email it to myself at gmail and star it. That way I can pull up all starred items and I have my own database to search. Searching the forums sometimes seems like a man dying of thirst trying to get a drink from the nozzle of a full blast firehose.

Roy, thanks for that link also. Giant scale flying models, huh? Is there a flying Yeoman on the horizon? I better shut up before you invite me to take a flying leap, LOL!

Does the point eliminator require a working magneto coil like the standard electronic ignition module? I bought a standard module at Napa and it wouldn't work because it still requires the signal from the magneto coil, and my whole problem was that the magneto was bad. I converted to the automotive coil, but I'm still using points and they are not very reliable. I'd love to be able to convert to electronic, but I've got to find a module that does NOT require a working magneto.

Craig: Not sure what you bought from Napa but it sounds like a points eliminator module to me, just a different name. Can't have both battery ignition and a points eliminator. The Ignition needs some way of knowing when to fire. A points eliminator module uses the magnetic flux through the armature(mag) to sense when to break (collapse) the primary field causing the armature to fire (when the current flow goes from + to - as the magnets on the flywheel pass the armature, or - to + depending on how wired and determined by the polarization of the flywheel magnets) thus it needs to be working. If converted to battery ignition it needs to use the points to break the primary field.