Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HELP: Need advice on carb repair AC B-10

meck

Finally, after getting closer and closer over the years, the needle valve completely stripped out of the carb. housing on my B-10 with the B & S engine What stripped is not the valve, but the piece/nut through which it threads and that then threads into the carb housing. The threads in the carb housing are gone, completely slick. I can use some advice on a good fix for this problem before I go to messing with it on my own. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Double check the threads in the carb housing. Haven't seen them strip out very often. Most generally the nut strips, leaving it's threads in the carb body so it only APPEARS as if the carb body is stripped.

quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
If all else fails, new OEM carbs are still available. Kind of pricey, but think of it amortized over the next 40 years
I agree, a new carb will greatly improve performance. The throttle shaft will be nice and tight, and all jets are clean.

John I agree with Pat.... check that the threads are just filled with material from the nut. If you decide to toss it and get a new carb let me know as I need the top half of a four screw flo-jet carb! Larry

Thanks for the responses. It is, in fact, the threads in the carb body that are stripped. The nut looks fine even though it looks like it is also aluminum. I may have to buy another carb., but, first, I'll try a couple of attempts at cheap fixes. In the meantime, I won't be having this one or parts from it for sale. Thanks again

3M makes an epoxy thread repair kit. You put a tread release agent solution on the bolt/jet threads then you apply the epoxy to the bolt/jet and thread in. After a few min you tread the bolt/jet back out and allow the epoxy to finish drying then you can tread the bolt/jet back in and it should hold.