Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

You guys made me do it!(updated again!!)

joshuaareed

Well I took the front end of my 314 apart to find 2 worn out bearing sleeves to be the culprit of my axle slop. After viewing some of the pics on the site I noticed that my tractor was in less than pristine shape, so I decided to get started on a partial restoration earlier than I expected to. I felt that compared to the other excellent looking tractors that I see on this site, mine is in quite rough shape. So I figured that as long as I had the front end apart I should take the time to strip the front rims down to bare metal and prep for paint. Of course it didn't stop there, I started to remove the paint from the hood as well. If I am going to buy paint I might as well do the hood too, Ya know. So I blame all of you for making me get off of my lazy butt and get some work done on my tractor finally LOL Thank you for giving me some ambition.

The before Picture

The culprit of the sloppy axle

Semi cleaned up front rims

A good start to removing old paint from the hood Thanks again for the motivation, all of you guys.

I've yet to find a tractor that front axle pivot wasn't badly worn on. Makes a lot of difference to rebuild it. Your logic sounds perfectly sound to me, if your gonna buy paint, may as well----------^

• 3 weeks later...
Well I finally got my rims sandblasted, primed, and painted. I have yet to get the hood completely sandblasted and painted, but that is in step two of the first stage along with the snow plow brackets. I did however get the front end fixed, with new bearing sleeves. No more Axle slop.

I found that if I remounted the tires from the back of the rims they didn't mess up the paint job on the side everyone sees.Eventually I will have super lugs all the way around.

Do you plan on replacing the decals on the hood? Let me know if you find a source, I plan on doing the same thing to my 314H, but would like to put new stickers on. chris.

Looks like you have a great start. Just be very careful when sandblasting the hood, sandblasting can warp thin metal that is flat. Dan

That hood decals appear to be the same as the B 10. Not sure if it is or not but if it is you can get them from Norm Stienman. http://www.normstoys.com/index.htm

Hey thanks Dan, I have been using a wire wheel on a drill to do the hood, so far, and it is working well. I don't know if the decals on my tractor are correct, but that's what were on it when I got it.

Well I have been kinda busy but I found the time to get one of the sides of my hood down to bare metal now. I know I have a long way to go before my tractor looks like some of yours do. I have been using paint stripper to get most of the bad paint job off the hood, and then a wire wheeel to get the remaining paint off. It seems to be going well, but then i need to do some body work to fill in some slight pitting.

I did also get the snowplow brackets stripped and repainted, all that's left of that color is the hood( the biggest part)