Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Two Down "Two Back Up"

MPH

Was tring to finish plowing my south clover field last sunday and broke two of my tractors:( First the Landlord, thouight because I hooked this root.

Unhooked the plow, dropped the tiller off the 725 and toed it into the shop,

put the plow on the 725 and got this much more done before it just stopped just like the LL did.

Pulled the axle on the 725 today expecting to find sheered off keys on the gear, hmmmmm, everything looked good, washed up the hub to find I CHEWED the nylon traction control bushing up real good.

Went and got a hub off a spare tranny, now gotta put one back together and hope the damage on the LL is the same. As I have plowed often with both of these tractors only reason I can come up for two in one day on the same field is the bone dry dirt I was turning over. Landlord turned out to be a bit different problem

Sheared the roll pins that hold the gear onto the hub. Outta spares now without taking one off a tractor-to-be fixed up. Anyone with a clue how to drive the roll pins outta the hub since the holes don't go through?

quote:
Originally posted by johnmonkey
And ya think yer covered with two tractors, more reason to have 4 tractors. jh
I like your thinking!;):D

I've had the same problem with a couple of my tractors . I just turned the gear a little and drilled new holes. Worked great,and still working been about three years now. Good luck.

I bought a reverse drill bit for extracting. It's the proper size to use a left handed bottoming tap with. I've had pretty good results with this method. Before I was fortunate enough to have this set up I bought a couple different size case hard grade 8 left threaded bolts and used them as extractors. I used a cut off wheel to make the grade 8's self tapping by just cutting a couple of angled slots in the end and chamfering the ends of the bolts. Since your pins are not threaded you could probably do this with a standard thread bolt. The way I would go about it is to freeze the bolt before you use it and heat the hub. This should cool the pin before the hub making them easier to extract. You might get lucky when pre-drilling the holes and they'll catch on the drill bit and spin them selves right out. The shear value of the pins should make them drill like butter. Start with very little pressure so you get some side wall depth to the pin then drill hard and try to "lock nut" onto the pin. I've had this work a few times, but it's a hit and miss. If it's a miss, you have some depth to use your home made screw extractor on. Hope this gives you a couple possibilities and good luck!!