Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dextyr

Replacement Fuel Tanks

dextyr
Does anyone know where I can purchase or find information on fuel tanks for a Simplicity 725, 101, and 3012? Has anyone converted to the newer plastics? My 101 and 3012 do not have fuel tanks and my 725 has leaking seams. Anyone ever reworked the seams?

Roy
Some suggested fuel tank replacement sources: Our site sponsors like Sandy Lake Implement, JJ Nemes, etc. Want ads in Simple Tractors. E-bay. Your local Simplicity dealer. "Anyone ever reworked the seams?" Yes, I repaired two of my tanks by re-soldering the seams where they leaked. Or, have a local radiator shop fix the leaks.

dirtsaver
Dick I've tried repairing tanks with J-B Weld and other epoxy types and had some little success. If it's only the seams Roy's idea is spot-on. If you have major rust-thru spots on an old tank you might try soldering some new metal to the outside and then having the tank coated with the same stuff they repair motorcycle tanks with. One of those is trademarked as "Creeme" if I remember right. It's been a long time since I had any bike tanks coated so memory is a bit rusty. Larry

Vinnie_A
I just finished relining 3 tanks with the epoxy made by POR 15.I had no idea that this is a 3 step operation snd it ending costing over $60 for 1 pint of the epoxy and the remaider for the cleaning solution and the etching solution. It take 96 hours to dry but looks good so far. The directions seemed kind of vague and got different answers from the the suppliers I bought from.

DaveL
I've done both for the tank on my '64 landlord. The solder worked for a while. I then used a plastic tank from a lawn boy commercial mower that fit right in with some minor mods. Only problem was that the fuel gage/cap would not work. Was a slight mis adjustment in the hood/tank hole, but not enough to be a problem. Part was about $12.00 as I recall-- but was many moons ago.