Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

do you change tractor colors or keep origional ?

quantico

I have a deutz allis 1918 that has a horrible repaint job on it. I am considering doing a quick rattle can paint job on i. just so it looks a bit less horrible. I will be pulling the engine to do rings over the winter, and wonder if I should try to keep the deutz allis green ?? or just make it stock simplicity orange. I am not really trying to make it a beauty or a collector, it just is an ugly sunstar that runs and could be a nice parts house if needed. Would you look for deutz paint and try to keep it stock looking ?? or change it over to some simplicity orange ?? I know that any paint beats rusty missing paint... and considering the useage many of you might just grab the nearest paint cans that are not empty... I am just curious among tractor collectors... since the same tractors are often found from different owners if most people try to keep factory paint color ?? Thanks Scott

IMO, a rattle can finish is not as good as a the factory. So with that in consideration I would lean more towards the same color. That way if I scratch it or get a chip in the paint I won't have an orange tractor with green highlights. If your going to strip the tractor, prime and paint it, then I would go with which ever color I liked best, (for me thats Simplicity orange).

I know that factory paint is great and not easily duplicated even by a pro shop... the tractor in question got painted white , by the last owner... and has a few places it is still deutz green... any paint all one color would be a huge improvement. The texture is very blackboard like as well right now. I just wondered if people cringe when a deutz allis is painted orange....

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Paint it whatever color you prefer, or that you think will be the least hassle to maintain.
Could not have said it better myself!

Well, green is my favorite color, so with bias, I'd say paint it Deutz-Allis green. :) But, as someone that tinkers with tractors, I personally prefer keeping the color as close to original as possible. I'm with the guys on the rattle can job. My personal opinion is if you care enough to paint it to make it look better, then why not go a couple steps further? :o)

Paint it whatever color works for you. When I redo my 9020 there will be very little cream or white. Why? Because I don't like it. I really don't care about it being original. What I care about is it being in good working order, good mechanical conidtion and it being a workhorse.

I guess changing colors is not a big deal. I will see what I want to do after the engine extraction and rebuild... The paint on it looks like the last owner used a roller on it. Of course it makes life easy because if some tool or pile of stuff is going to be left on the hood of a tractor it is always that one that gets layered on. I had to take about 20 things off of the hood yesterday to use it to mow the grass with... thanks I purchased the icky tractor just to use for parts, but I wanted to run it for some time so that I knew what worked and what did not. The problem came in when despite it blowing some blue smoke... it starts and runs perfectly and mows great. It is hard to start taking apart a machine that starts instantly and works perfectly. It is really ugly and I have absolutely no love for it at all. That means of course that it is the perfect tractor. You have no worries if it burns up or explodes or rolls into the river. Most of my stuff is extremely cared for. It is a great feeling to have something around that you have no emotional investment. I like the yellow tractor , it looks nice and would not be hard to find in the yard.

Considering it's a parts tractor,go with any color you like.If it was for resale I'd go with simplicity orange.The orange tractors will generally bring more money than the duetz green ones.

quote:
Originally posted by mbrook
IMO, a rattle can finish is not as good as a the factory.
obviously you have not seen FastPaul's work, spray cans will come out just as nice as factory paint jobs, as long as the prepping and re-coating are done well.