Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

largest repower?

DMedal

somebody here should get this for a repower: http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIGGS-AND-STRATTON-34-HP-TURBO-DIESEL-VANGUARD-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ330168112368QQihZ014QQcategoryZ79670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem What is the largest engine y'all have put in a Simple? oh, the engine is 198lbs dry. I had to find out. I think with power steering that could be made to work, don't you? sm03 -Don

I think it would work OK without power steering if you could make it fit... That weight difference is nothing compared to hanging a snowblower or HD snow/dirt blade way out in front of the front axle. They list for over $4K, I think, so someone could get a good deal here... Here's a 26.5HP at Northern Tool for $4695 http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_405826_405826

Jay (AC808) always talked about putting a 40HP VW engine on a large frame Simplicity/AC. Don't know if he ever did that.....:O

I'm trying to get my hands on a kubota 3 cylinder diesel out of a refer trailer. I think I could get it, but my boss knows if he says yeah, He'll have to help me get it out!:D:D

Someone, don't remember who, put a Subaru four cylinder, boxer engine in a Simplicity large frame. Had the radiator mounted on the seat pan behind the seat back. Think it was 70 hp.

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Jay (AC808) always talked about putting a 40HP VW engine on a large frame Simplicity/AC. Don't know if he ever did that.....:O
Don't know if Jay did this one, but here's a pic of a VW powered Allis 716.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/olcowhand_in_ky/716VW.jpg[/img]

Thanks guys, lots of inspiration there. I'm drawn to the idea of listening to the turbo spool up as the tiller digs in, wouldn't that be cool? -Don

I forget now what brand tractor it was, but Dan(Rokon) had a tractor with a 750cc motorcycle engine on it. I remember that he brought it to GOTO 2004.

• 2 weeks later...
I can get a cheap 460 v8 gasoline ford V8. Maybe in a sunstar ???? It would allready come with a spare power steering pump. !!!!

quote:
Originally posted by quantico
I can get a cheap 460 v8 gasoline ford V8. Maybe in a sunstar ???? It would allready come with a spare power steering pump. !!!!
If you do it, be sure to post pictures here! I do see some minor engineering problems to work out. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure you won't need front weights at all anymore. I was thinking more in terms of the 31HP Vanguard, but hey... Maybe I should rephrase the question to "what is the largest engine that's been put in and the tractor still used for work? (vs show)" LOL Can you picture a Simplicity drive shaft after a V8 has applied torque to it? -Don

Removed the origional 7 hp and sqeezed a 18 hp kohler in a yeoman.And i use the tractor all the time. Has plenty of extra power .

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195Removed the origional 7 hp and sqeezed a 18 hp kohler in a yeoman.And i use the tractor all the time. Has plenty of extra power .
No power train issues? By upping the HP by 2.5 times one would think if anyone would have em you would.

quote:
Originally posted by duckman
What is the largest engine y'all have put in a Simple? -Don
This isn't a simple but it is a little bit bigger than the VW repower! http://photos.bravenet.com/268/717/785/8/C1BA28B0E6.jpg