Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hatz Diesel engines

Mrgoodwrench22

Hello, does anyone have any knowledge of, or thoughts on hatz diesel engines.I recently found a 2G40 2cyl aircooled and was wondering about a possible repower into my 7013. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

German made, pressure lube w/ filter, PTO on both shaft ends, nice torque curve. That's all I know. Check the height of shaft from the base however. 185mm, about 7 1/4" It's dark out or I'd go out and measure whether that would work. There are a couple of starter and alternator options, I'd favor the higher output alternator. I think you should do it and report back to us on mechanical difficulties installing and what the performance is like. It should be fun to lug it down a bit in tall grass. -Don

Generally good engines, expensive to repair when required. Parts support is not as easy as going to your "local GM dealer".... Not sure of the 2G40 series, I maintained many hi use Z790 twins, approx 25 hp and don't remember any trends or common failures. These were all cast iron construction, pretty heavy. Brent

After I went to get the engine I found it to be military surplus and was off a light tree. Checked it out and found hour meter on it with only 34hours on it. Taking things with a grain of salt as I'm prone to do I bench tested it (on the floor) set timer on phone and left it for approx. 1 1/2 hours checking on it ever so often, to my surprise hour meter works and it ran like a kitten. Engine swap into my 7013 is currently in design stage with install coming soon. Also went to Fayetteville NC [home of Fort Bragg] to deliver rabbits to pet stores and called a friend of mine who is a civilian employee on base an found out that they were pulling several lighttree units apart for surplus sale. All have this same engine. Think I'm going to try to snag a couple if nothing elsebut for parts.will up date progress I make on installation. later, jeff

quote:
Originally posted by Mrgoodwrench22
Also went to Fayetteville NC [home of Fort Bragg] to deliver rabbits to pet stores and called a friend of mine who is a civilian employee on base an found out that they were pulling several lighttree units apart for surplus sale. All have this same engine. Think I'm going to try to snag a couple if nothing elsebut for parts.will up date progress I make on installation. later, jeff
Keep us posted -- I'd love to have one of those little diesels, if they're not costing a fortune...

I looked up the engine you are talking about on the hatz website: These are very good engines, I remember these installed on mobile tow behind air compressors (7MC2A). Smooth running for a small diesel..wouldn't mind getting one myself... BTW I fill an Active Duty slot with the GA ANG and maintain equipment like this as well as 10-750kW generator sets so if I can help let me know.. Brent

If they are good engines with little use, why are they being replaced? I'd be concerned if the Canadian army had them and were tossing them, but then our guys were forced to use 40 year old helicopters, which is a more serious problem.

PGL, Governments and the military do strange things. All sorts of military surplus items are available in the USA. Much of it is NOS that has never been opened or used. A man here in town has a German military Mercedes 4 wheel drive radio van full of equipment he bought surplus from Germany and had shipped here. Is in excellent condition with low miles and all the radios work. Some things have no logical explanation.

Surplus to the unit's needs. We have no problem flying 50 yr old bombers and project to fly them til they are 75 or 80 yrs old, meaning we may have 3rd generation B52 pilots. Meanwhile stuff that doesn't get used much gets surplused. Same things happens at your neighborhood garage sale. New women's jeans that didn't fit after all. :D Some military surplus, to be sure, is used, abused and suitable only for scrap metal. -Don

I understand Don's point about used and abused surplus stuff. Where I live I'm within 1 1/2 hours from 6 military installations the closest being 15minutes away. I see alot of surplus stuff that is in poor condition but after making an appointment to view the engines the highest hour meter reading on them was 37hrs. There was an equal # of disassembled light trees as engines, the tires on the tree frames still had the nobbies on them.I think I'm going to take a chance that they are just barely broken in. As far as junk I have a friend that bought a 3/4 ton 4wd sight unseen from a base aution,the only way you could say that you threw something away was to tape a 5 dollar bill to the windshield and pushed it off in the river. The moral to the story is to be an informed consumer. later, jeff

Here's the data sheet: http://www.hatz-diesel.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Typenblaetter/tb_2G40_E.pdf I would read it since they rate the HP at 3600 rpm that it will reliably do that speed. Perhaps they quote 3000rpm because of a German vs US thing. In this country a generator spins at either 1800 or 3600 rpm (60 revs per second) to produce 60Hz power. In Germany they use 50Hz power, so a generator spins at 3000rpm. (50 rps) I think since the torque and HP curves go out to 3600rpm you could run it that far. BUT.. something to be cautious about is whether it is a fixed RPM setup or whether it will run over an RPM range effectively. A light tower is, of course, a motor-generator and lights. Generator motors often are set up to do one RPM only. (or that and idle) -Don

quote:
BUT.. something to be cautious about is whether it is a fixed RPM setup or whether it will run over an RPM range effectively. A light tower is, of course, a motor-generator and lights. Generator motors often are set up to do one RPM only. (or that and idle) -Don
That is corect. Mine is full and idle only. 3800rpm is what mine runs at.

Is there an easy way to modify the throttle and governor controls to obtain variable speed operation? I modified the governor on a B & S generator engine for my B-1. Works fine.

quote:
Originally posted by duckman
I hope you've got that in a hydro, Elon ! Does it work to pop the PTO clutch?
Close, I got a shuttle in her. What PTO are you asking about? There isn't one on the front or rear, and the cone clutch is not hooked up right. I need to play with the length of the engagement shaft.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Is there an easy way to modify the throttle and governor controls to obtain variable speed operation? I modified the governor on a B & S generator engine for my B-1. Works fine.
Roy, yes they did make this engine with a normal governor for other applications. I'm not sure what you would have to do. I'm going to leave it alone for the winter and plow with it to see how it does. If it doesn't work great, I'll look into changing the governor.

• 2 months later...
quote:
Originally posted by Drigon
The Company "Hatz" is 30 Km away from me... How can I help you exactly
You just have to love this club and it's international reach.

You could always use a belt driven governor to link to the throttle. I would assume it has a normal injector throttle arm? I would absolutely LOVE to have a diesel in one of my garden tractors!

Here's a link to a guy on ebay with 4 belt driven governors. "Buy it Now" of $52, not sure of shipping. Uses 3/8" belt. [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ENGINE-GOVERNOR-BELT-DRIVEN-BY-PIERCE-GOVERNOR_W0QQitemZ190174659526QQihZ009QQcategoryZ97118QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

The Surplus Centre e store selling the item referenced by olcowhand is very interesting. Includes 4 diesel engines - a 6.8 hatz, a 13 hp, a 20 hp and a 50 hp caterpiller.