Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs & Stratton Clean Up

haykarenhardy

I want to clean up a B & S to overhaul the motor. What can you use to clean the cooling fins and what kind of black paint did they use for the cast iron block? Stan

Oven cleaner works well,I buy it at the dollar store,or if you want to spend more money Gunk, Simple Green,Purple Power or other good degreasers. Don't get them on your tractor paint,they will discolor it. I use black high temp engine enamel for the motor, your local parts house should have it.

• 3 weeks later...
I've used the Duplicolor 500 degree "ceramic" black on the block, etc, and the 1000 degree silver on the exhaust pipe and muffler with success. About 7 hours on 5 outings so far and all look great.

I have tried hi-temp paint on heads before with mixed results. My favorite paint for heads and the rest of the engine now, is Dollar General's cheap paint, about a buck a can. Several coats work fine on any part of the engine, as far as I can tell. I have used the 16 HP Briggs for many hours, most of it several tanks of gas at a time, and the paint is just as good as when I put it on early last year. As for cleaning, I use Purple Power or Greased Lightning, both work just fine.