Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bsm2003

Briggs 14hp Vangard

Recommended Posts

bsm2003
My 914s kohler just took a dive and was wondering if this will work out and what are your thoughts. Found a 14hp horizontal Briggs vangard engine for $100 and purchased it. Am going to adapt it to my 914. This should be fairly straight forward but I will keep ya'll updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HubbardRA
That engine should be sweet on that tractor. I had a 14 Hp Vanguard, vertical shaft, on a Murray mower. That was the smoothest, quietest engine I have ever owned. Send me a PM if I can be any help. I have swapped several engines on my tractors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GregB
I think that was the engine I saw swapped into a B series Landlord. As I remember it was a tight fit but looked real good. How are you going to deal with the key start ? Also It looks like the oil filter might cause you a problem with the hood. But you may be able to use an adaptor plate to remotely mount the filter. GregB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DMedal
quote:
Originally posted by joshuaareed
I think you should keep the recoil on it in case you have a dead battery. It should be a great re power. Good luck
The end with the recoil is where you have to attach the driveshaft. You need a booster fan/pulley to be able to mount the electric starter off the old engine. And a custom bracket. You might be able to make your old booster fan work. The driveshaft attaches to that. I suppose there's some minor hardware to attach the booster fan or otherwise attach the driveshaft. The tapered end is not an issue unless you use a front PTO, then it is a major problem. (thanks to Pat Rarick for explaining all this to me) If you attach the driveshaft somehow to the tapered end you'll wind up with a tractor with 1 forward and 3 reverse speeds. You can do it and will love the results. Oh you need to fabricate a mount that will raise the engine a bit so the driveshaft lines up. Not a big deal. -Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bsm2003
quote:
Originally posted by 4xbill
I don't know the 914S, so this may be a stupid question, but what are you going to do with the tapered shaft? Did the Kohler have a tapered shaft?
No the shaft was straight. Since I don't have a mower deck and not enough snow in the winter not much need for the shaft. I only use the 36in tiller and a one bottom plow and a log chain for pulling hickory logs for smoking. I got a new Husqvarna for mowing the yard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bsm2003
This engine already has an electric starter on it. See middle pic left side bottom. :-)
quote:
Originally posted by duckman
quote:
Originally posted by joshuaareed
I think you should keep the recoil on it in case you have a dead battery. It should be a great re power. Good luck
The end with the recoil is where you have to attach the driveshaft. You need a booster fan/pulley to be able to mount the electric starter off the old engine. And a custom bracket. You might be able to make your old booster fan work. The driveshaft attaches to that. I suppose there's some minor hardware to attach the booster fan or otherwise attach the driveshaft. The tapered end is not an issue unless you use a front PTO, then it is a major problem. (thanks to Pat Rarick for explaining all this to me) If you attach the driveshaft somehow to the tapered end you'll wind up with a tractor with 1 forward and 3 reverse speeds. You can do it and will love the results. Oh you need to fabricate a mount that will raise the engine a bit so the driveshaft lines up. Not a big deal. -Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DMedal
quote:
Originally posted by bsm2003
This engine already has an electric starter on it. See middle pic left side bottom. :-)
Oops, my error. I'm not sure if you'd need the booster fan (for cooling) or not. But you'd still need to have a way to connect your driveshaft to the flywheel which is part of what that piece does. others know more -Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PatRarick
quote:
Originally posted by GregB
I think that was the engine I saw swapped into a B series Landlord. As I remember it was a tight fit but looked real good. How are you going to deal with the key start ? Also It looks like the oil filter might cause you a problem with the hood. But you may be able to use an adaptor plate to remotely mount the filter. GregB
Brian's engine has the optional oil filter mount so it's not too big of a deal. Here's my 914 with an 18 horse Vanguard. You can see how much I had to cut out of the hood. Although it doesn't show, the frame had to be radiused as well. Very little though. Somewhere between 1/2" and 5/8". Only problem is that it's a little messy when changing the filter. I cut the ends off of a pop can and split it in two. I slide that under the filter and up against the engine to keep the oil from spilling down the frame.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/PatRarick/914filter.jpg[/img]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Al
Hi, You will need the booster fan. I also have the adapter plate to mount the engine etc, put a package together for Orangeone, who has now after this his final tractor left us after losing to his cancer. Since this is not the new E series engine, the booster fan is how the drive shaft attaches. The New series with the E cooling system have a new deeper fan and blower housing and need a totally different set up to connect the drive shaft. Al Eden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PatRarick
Another issue that has not yet been addressed, is that you'll need to change the wiring and the ignition switch. The Kohler has battery ignition and the Vanguard has magneto ignition. An adapter plate such as Al suggests is the easiest way to mount the engine, but if you choose to make your own plate, you need to be aware that the engine's crankshaft is not centered with it's mounting bolt pattern. This is also true of the original single cylinder engines. You can see this after the engine is removed by noting that the engine mounting holes are closer to the left side of the frame (as you sit on the tractor), than the right side. The Vanguard crankshaft is offset by the same amount as the single cylinder engines. If you make your own adapter plate, you'll have to center the engine according to the original engine mounting holes, and not according to the center of the tractor frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PatRarick
quote:
Originally posted by duckman
So Pat, how many adapter plates did you make before it fit? :D
Didn't have a problem with a one, Don.:D:D I weld my adapter plates together and always set things in place to test fit before welding, so it was easy to see on the first one before it was too late. I've got V-twin Vanguards in my B-210 (14hp) and my HB-212 (16hp), and my 7018, 914, and 917 all have 18hp Vanguards in them. Have also done several for customers, all in 900 series Allis and Deutz-Allis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • RAC
    • PhanDad
    • AC710
    • JohnFornaro
    • Mach1martysr
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Mike_H
      Mike_H
      (43 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

    • Paul M.Murphy

      Paul M.Murphy

      Hello glad I got on this site. I hope to upload a couple of photos of my Simplicity Broadmoor 
      Model 707 Tractor. I have replaced all the belts on it and installed a new ignition switch.
      Have a mower deck which was in poor shape , repaced a couple of bushings and welded the
      deck where there was some holes. The tractor and mower deck came from a friend and the 
      mower deck metal was getting pretty thin. Some new metal was put in it and we also undercoated the underside of the deck. This was done by my friend Greg Toulman.
      I have not put the mower deck on the tractor yet, waiting for Greg to come home and give me a hand. Can you please tell me if there is a manual for the mower deck and where I could get one.
      I would also like to get some moon wheel discs as well.
      I will try and down load some photos of the tractor when my wife shows me how to. 
      I really love driving this tractor and also how well it is made compare today's tractors, especially the flexible rear end and the rollers.
      Tell the next time 
      Paul
       
      · 8 replies
    • jbrooks

      jbrooks  »  Talntedmrgreen

      Josh
       
      folowing  this from a link at the downloads.  I just rescued an AC 920 with the lambodini diesel. I can' t download  yet .  Where did you find the PDF copy you posted. . I would like to figure out how to adjust the injection pump. 
      I assume it's a bosche, correct
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts

×