Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
B.Ikard

Late model Sovreign values

B.Ikard
Gents, Found a mid-90's Simplicity Soverign locally, which is a miracle in itself-had to look twice. Many other members in the South can confirm this... This one was bought in Auburn, NY and the owner is a transplant in the Atlanta area. Tractor has been unused for 3 years as they have no lawn to speak of. Frankly the tractor looks pretty much UNUSED at all....garage kept,estimating less than 100 hrs use. This one has the 18hp Kohler Command, hydraulic lift, and 42" deck. Odd color combo compared to the 7100 series tractors. Seller won't budge from $1600. It is very nice but not a lot more there than a 7117/19 tractor (that would do well to bring half that price)... Are the latest Soverign tractors worth that much? Basically I dont see anything "special", just a very pampered 10 yr old tractor Opinions and feedback would be appreciated....specially you gents that see a lot of these Brent

jfrank1962
Hey Brent, For what it's worth my father sold this tractor and vac set up about 3 months ago for right at $1700.00. It was in great condition and very well taken care of. It had a 17hp Kohler twin. Hope this helps^

rsnik
I have a neighbor that has a 1998 Sovereign. That year, instead of the Kohler Command engine, Simplicity for the first time put in the Kohler 18 OHC engine (invented in 1995) with the one piece casting and the fiber OHC belt. Once, again, I can't find anything online that disfavors this engine, but I hear that this is a "don't want" Kohler engine? I know why the KT 17 engines are disfavored (oil starvation on slopes causes broken connecting rod) but I do not know why the OHC 18 engine is disfavored. Is it OHC fiber belt failures, engine just too complicated? Anyway this 1998 Sovereign tractor has 200 hours and the neighbor wants $3500 for it. Comes with 42" deck, 46" dozer blade, 36" tiller, 10" brinley plow. If this seems unreasonably high as an asking price please comment. I would be delighted to refer to valuation estimates other than my own. I don't think this tractor is worth that much.

B.Ikard
quote:
Originally posted by jfrank1962
Hey Brent, For what it's worth my father sold this tractor and vac set up about 3 months ago for right at $1700.00. It was in great condition and very well taken care of. It had a 17hp Kohler twin. Hope this helps^
[img]/club2/attach/jfrank1962/dads2.JPG[/img]

That's a good price including all the attachments. I like that styling better than the dual rectangular headlights. I wish it was for sale near here as I have lots of leaves to deal with. One factor that can be good or bad is the rarity in this location. People think Simplicity is a sewing machine. Pickings are slim, all my machines came from up north or the Carolinas. I offered $1200 and told him to call if he changed his mind.. Brent

PatRarick
If it's in the shape you say it is, $1600 isn't a bad price at all. I'd suggest shopping around to look at ALL brands that are comperable as far as age and size just to see what you can find for $1600. Then compare what you get for that money with the Sovreign you are looking at. That would be about your best indicator as to whether or not it's worth the asking price.

ambler
If your buying a 7100 your getting a 25 year old engine, tranny, deck etc. With this you have a 10 year old well cared for unit. I've payed and sold a blown OHC Sovereign Deck etc for $750. Offer him 1500, because it has the small deck.

B.Ikard
quote:
Originally posted by JJ MARSHALL
BRENT You said that color on this tractor was a odd . what is the color? JJ

Here's the picture-I suppose the paint scheme is factory for the tractor, I much prefer the traditional orange/white with orange deck and am used to seeing only that. If there were more of them (Last of Sovreign series production)around here it wouldn't strike me as odd looking.... I must admit that 18hp command had a nice V twin rumble-I think I will call the seller back and perhaps offer $1500. Brent

GWGAllisfan
I'd love to have it, but no matter how good the price, since I don't have the money to spare...Oh well.... Leaving that aside, Essentially what you are gaining is the newness of it, as opposed to the early 80's models. If you do buy it give me a call so I can come see a late model Sovreign in real life, not just a picture!:)