Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blade tip speed

Bunky

I have a 3210v and was wondering if the blade tip speed has been raised since that was made the blades on the newer ones seem to turn faster?????????

Generally speaking Bunky new mowers have been slowed down due to safety regulations. Blade tip speed has also been more recently recorded for performance comparison. But there isn't too much grass that your mower won't handle - except that it doesn't cut quite as high as todays mowers.

Just look at the older decks'cast iron drive pulley,it's about 4 1/2" compared to todays steel pulley size of over 8" Like the old saying goes;"They just don't make them like they used to!".It would seem the blade tip speed is approx half of what it used to be? I'm sure engineering figured out it would still work reasonably well with the bigger pulley while being a lot safer.

Hi, I just thought I would mention if you notice the PTO pulley on the newer tractors has a larger diameter than the 3200 and older. Good luck, AL

The reduced blade speed is most noticed when cutting in thick grass and making a corner.........the layover of grass a result of the front tires matting during the turn does not get "sucked" and sheered with the newer slower turning decks as it does with the older faster cutting decks......