Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
richp

Crankcase pressure on Onan

richp
I have a ccka Onan that ran fine until today. Yesterday I noticed the governor shaft seeping oil. Now I have oil getting in the points box. Oil level on dipstick is fine. I cleaned breather out about a month ago when trying to fix another problem. Any ideas?

D-17_Dave
quote:
Originally posted by Dark
take the hose off of the sidecover ,start engine check for crankase pressure if it is not releasing the pressure replace side cover/pcv assy
An ONAN CCKA doesn't have the same side cover crankcase vent as do the single cyl. engines. It has a separate PCV valve on top of the engine block beside the carb. At any rate the fix is the same. Pull the tube off the PCV valve that goes to the filter and see if it is exhausting a flow of crankcase gas. If it's not or seems low then remove and clean it. It may be that the PCV valve is full of oil or some other contaminate that is restricting the amount of flow it can handle. The rings may be failing producing more blow-by but I've seen these engines with terrible blow-by and the PCV valve handle this flow. The tube going to the air filter may be collapsed restricting the flow also.

richp
I'm confused, but here's what I found. The points leak was actually the gasket under the points box. Made a new one and all fixed. Not sure why the gov. shaft stopped leaking but it did. I did have to readjust the points, and now it runs like a champ(for now). I keep thinking I will get to a point where I won't have to keep tweeking this motor, and I think I'm close. I am spoiled with all the Briggs singles I have owned over the years. Also, I took it out to plow some brush and am blown away with how much it will push with just turf tires, amazing machine. My 7119 with ags and weight wouldn't come close.