Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

Briggs Model # location

johnsup
When I looked for my #'s on my B-12, they were located right under the carb.They were stamped in the metal.I am pretty sure they had several different locations,so just look around,they are probably there somewhere. Hope this helps a little!!! Good Luck, John

johnsup
Sometimes B&S numbers are stamped pretty "shallow," and then filled with paint. I have some engines that I know where the numbers are, but need to hold a light a certain way to read them.

LesH
I have 3 B series garden tractors with the Briggs engine in each. The manual says that the engine model # location is on the shroud behind the air cleaner area. All 3 are blank... I cleaned off that area and cannot locate anything..... Are the numbers supposed to be stamped or is there a decal???? Any help appreciated.

Kent
Assuming you're NOT talking about B-206/207/208 with their vertical shaft Briggs.... The model # is stamped in the sheet metal that covers the head, up on top, on the right side (sitting in seat). It should be between the hole for the spark plug and where the sheet metal cover rounds off on the side. The serial # on my 10HP was partially covered with the bracket that allows you to adjust the starter-generator belt tension. This L bracket also had a big hole in it -- I assume a lift point to hook a chain and pull the engine -- but this is an aftermarket replacement engine. The original factory one may have been slightly different.