Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB lube?

gtjeff

I drained the oil/fluid from my BGB on my 1964 Landlord. I do not have time to get the "Simplicity" oil. What is an alternative? Thanks for any help.

The fluid that was removed was "red" in color. It did not smell nasty like 80/90w gear lube. I was thinking that this was transmission fluid.

Someone probably used what they had. Like Greg C said, 80-90w Gear oil is the fluid I use. Do not over fill, the BGB takes a fixed amount of gear oil, before you flood the seals and make it more prone to leak. Later boxes had a dip stick, early ones you need to keep track of the amount you put in. Check a repair or owners manual for the exact amount. GregB

Transmission fluid would likely be the last thing I would put in a gearbox. You would do better with HD30 oil than fluid. Best will be the multiweight 80/90 like what belongs there, as it will have more of a tendency to 'stick' to the gears during operation. If it is too thick for your liking, try lighter weight, or a good multiweight engine oil, such as 20w50. Just an opinion, though.

Simplicity specs for the BGB call for 90 gear oil prior to 1975 and Simplicity muti-purpose trans fluid thereafter starting with the 7000/7100 series that use a dip stick.