Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

freezing gas question

ike

What do you guy's use to keep the gas freezing up? I also use stabil to keep the gas fresh. can I use a gas antifreeze along with the stabil?

I dump about 1/4 of a can of heat in my 5 gal gas can before I fill it,and I've never had a freeze problem. I only use stabil in the equipment I'm going to store.

You should not have a freeze-up problem is you live in an area that uses 10% alcohol in the gas during the winter. Freeze-up is usually because the water does not mix with gasoline and will freeze up into a large glob and shut off the gas flow. Water does mix with alcohol, and alcohol mixes with gasoline, so the water will stay mixed with the gasoline and not freeze up the fuel line. The gasoline anti-freezes are usually mostly alcohol to make the water mix with the gasoline.

I personally run SeaFoam in my gas to keep my engine clean and to make sure I don't even have a chance of freezing gas. I also have never used Stabil in my personal equipment, only int he go carts at work before they are put away until we open in summer again. Benjamin

Good quality, fresh gas, shouldn't freeze up. If you use a gas antifreeze, don't use a lot, Willy's 1/4 can to 5 gallons sounds about right. I've also had less problems with condensation, etc, by using a plastic can to store gas, not a metal one.

I use regular isopropol alcohol right off the drug store shelf(97%) it is cheeper and the same stuff found in gas line antifreeze.

quote:
Originally posted by joshuaareed
I use regular isopropol alcohol right off the drug store shelf(97%) it is cheeper and the same stuff found in gas line antifreeze.
Heet runs about 1.25 a bottle for twelve oz and isopropol alcohol runs $.79 per pint. Isopropol alcohol has more alcohol content per once.

I used to live in upstate Minnessota where it got as low as -40 and never used anything in my gas. Just keep fresh gas on hand. Maybe I was just lucky^ Dan aka IronPony

I had trouble with line freezing a few years ago. scince then, I use a couple of ounces of gas line antifreeze per five gallons of gas. I also add Stabil every time I fill up my cans, because a lot of my equipment does sit- For instance, my mowing is probably done for the year, no problem because the Stabil is already in it.

ike, Can you be more specific? Are you seeing the gas froze in the gasline or is it the frost on the carb that is causing you problems. The frost on the outside of the carb is caused by the moisture in the aur and is remedied by putting some sort of heat shield on the equipment to keep the carb warm so the frost doesn't form. I don't know if that was the reason for your question but it's my 2 cents worth and you can value accordingly.

Its easy to do a fuel test with a small jar like a baby food jar put a test sample into this container and let sit... if there is water it will show a difinitive line on the bottom where the two are seperated (water is heavyer then fuel)measure the % of water to fuel anything over a 1/4 inch in a baby food jar of water replace the fuel alcohol wont help. [url]http://www.apba-racing.com/Forms/Fuel/Fuel%20Tests.pdf[/url]