Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got a lift....

MarksA-C

Ok, I think this is the place to post this. I got this from the place I stopped by today that had all the tractors and such. He had this in a room in the barn. Asked what it is and he said a hydraulic lift. :) He said its for 300lb, but he's lifted the front end of a truck with it. So with a little welding It will be able to lift tractors! Asked the Price....$20 :Q Didn't have to think about it, SOLD!

Mark, Well done. $20 is a great price for something like that. I would build a locking mechanism, though... So that if the lift failed while you are under it, there would be a fallback safety feature. Best of luck in building the tractor lifting contraption. I look forward to pics. :o)

Even if you cut a pipe to fit around as a large collar to stop it from dropping down on you. I am glad to hear that I was not the only one with safety concerns. I have had too many friends get hurt without safety devices.

Mark, Just a thought, maybe you could build 4 steel stands, with a very solid base... And build a "Y" on top of each stand... Make sure it's 1 foot shorter than the lift's limit. That way, you can lift the tractor, and put the stands under and next to each wheel and lower the lift so that the tractor actually rests on the stands. That way, the lift would only be used to lift it, rather than hold it in the air and have the stands be what actually holds the tractor up in the air?

Safety First - The pipe idea from joshuaareed sounds good. I'd cut a length of PVC, that fits around just the shaft, in half lengthwise, then put at least 2 hinges and 2 clasps on it. Easy to put on & off. I think when you're not using the lift, you can raise it & store the safety tube right on it. It also looks like it would be easier to tilt and move if it was in the up position. GREAT find, I like it, Now I need to find 1 for myself! Do you know what it was originally made or used for? Mark Brozak

Nice buy! I agree with the safety concerns, we all need to remember safety with these old machines! Looks like it works great on the video, should be a great helping hand around the shop!:D