Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hi-Low for 728?

RipRat

I found this picture of 728 with 2 shift levers and was wondering if anybody has ever mounted the 707 Hi-Low on the 3 speed 728 Trani? Can this be done, and if - so What modifications are required?
[img]/club2/attach/RipRat/728.jpg[/img]

It can be done without any modifications. I took a 728 transmission, a hi-lo from a 717 and mounted it in my 717 so I could have the left side optional pto with 3 speed of the 728 with the speed of the hi-lo and keep the looks of the 717.

Speaking of Hi/lo, my 64 Landlord has a Hi/Lo decal on the body, actually, the rear fender. I have seen nothing concerning a hi/lo for that tractor. Any ideas from you folks about what might be the case? What exactly is hi/lo? A 2 speed rear or? Can someone tell me what tractors have such so I might be able to see a blowup?

Joe, it's a two speed pulley. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1271_00_AT_S.pdf Here's a pic that Kent made of one on his Big Ten.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/2_into_1/high_low2.jpg[/img]

Mr.Steele, they put those decals on all the large frame tractors for some years, regardless of if they were actucally equipped with it or not. Every one of 3 b-12's I've seen had this decal but never had the hi-lo kit, others here have also seen this.

I mounted a Hi/Lo kit on my 728 I used to have..It worked real good for mowing real high grass/weeds..and sometimes handy in wet heavy snow with a blower..Also made it slower in reverse to back into the small parking spot I had for it..I sort of regret selling all my small frame tractors..I still have some parts for them including a Hi/Lo that will find its way to ebay this winter I guess..

Hi mowerman, You used to be king of the small frame tractors. I used to bug you for advice on my rising, no load idle problem on my 717. I still have the problem, the 717 and a 728 and a HiLo. If Bellevue was a little closer I could get you back in small frame tractors tonight or tomorrow at the latest, LOL.

Gentlemen - I recently mounted a hi-lo unit on Broadmoor 3 speed (728 tranny) for the first time. (I bought it on e-bay a couple years ago, from another member in Janesville, WI). After installing it, I can't make the transmission shift into 2nd gear. I took it oof, and the transmssions shifted properly. Put the hi-lo back on, and again it will not shift into 2nd gear. Did this ever happen to you? Any idea what is causing this? Thanks - Tom

Tom, I never had the problem of not going into gear but I did 1-2 times have the trans. shifter nock the Hi/Lo shifter and it would either bump the Hi/Lo out of gear or bump the trans out of gear..As both shifters are right close together when you have it in second gear..Might check that..and maybe you might have to try to tweek one or both shift levers to prevent this?I never did anything to mine but thats not to say that one or the other wasn't bent in the past..

Hmmm, such an attachment would be nice to have at times, as even 1st gear is too fast for bermuda about 8" tall. However, for Johnson grass as tall as my 6'-1 head, 1st is just fine. Is the low range lower than the basic 3 speeds?

quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
Is the low range lower than the basic 3 speeds?
Yes, speeds are reduced by one third.