Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tips for safely removing stamped pulleys?

Ketchamized

In the past, I have used the 3-prong pulley puller to pull off a stamped double pulley off an engine shaft. Unfortunately, most times, the pulley ends up being bent. (Unless they were cast iron) Are there any tips for safe pulley removing for a softer metal stamped pulley set without damaging the pulleys?

if i really had to save the pulley.....i use an old prop pulling technique...there must be some freedom behind the pulley..i have a 1/2" steel disk, a 1" (or whatever shaft dia. is) slit cut into it from the outside..to the center so it can go over the shaft...it will go behind the pulley, or prop, you can either drill through your pulley, (prop is easier as you just go between fins) for the bolts...then threaded/bolted through the plate behind it..or use an oversize plate..and hook the puller to that. you can do all the above with the pulley, drilling through and using large washers to distribute the force, use plenty of heat and lube.

Air hammer works almost every time. Put a bolt in the end of the shaft, and hold the air hammer (dull round end) up to the bolt while pulling on the pulley with your free hand. The sharp vibrations knock it loose.

Scott, Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Sounds very viable. :o) Rich, That air hammer idea sounds great, unfortunately, I don't have an air hammer. I'd buy one, but my air compressor died 2 months ago and since then, I haven't found room in my budget for a new air compressor.

Hi, Sometime back, I did a post on using 4 shims of 1/8 by 1 strips and a press. If someone could find it great. If not, I will repost, but see if I could take a couple of pics. Al Eden

A variation on plastikosmd's description that I've used on both props & pulley's is to drill 2 holes into the hub of what you are trying to pull and then thread the holes. You can then use part of a puller or just make a cross bar with 2 matching holes to the tapped ones and use 2 bolts to pull the hub against the end of the shaft. This works especially if there is no space behind the hub.