Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mixing of pulleys on decks

Bunky

i have a 42" deck on my 3210v that i want to rebuild the pulleys allexcept the top drive are "tin" the drive is cast i have 2 "tin" that is rusted out and i have some parts decks with cast pulleys should i put all cast on or mix them?????????

You can mix the pulleys as long as they are from the same size deck the cast iron will drive a little better than the steel but steel is all thats avail. new. When you rebuild the arbors be sure to tourque them to 80 ft. lbs. if they seem to bind don't back off on the nut rap each end of theshaft a couple of times with a brass hammer to center the brgs. Cal

I have found that the steel pulleys hold up better, because the cast iron pulleys do not fit tight enough on the arbor shafts. If the cast iron pulleys do not fit tight (press fit), do not use them as the soft cast iron I.D. will quickly enlarge and will wreck the arbor shafts. My nickels worth. Mike.

I sorta got a similar problem. I have a 3212H and it didnt come with a deck. So I got a B-10 deck from Sandy Lake and I don't know which belt to buy that goes from the swinging arm underneath to the input pully on the deck. I looked at the info Kent posted and I cannot find out the original number for the belt for a 3212H to see it it is the same for a B -Series deck. Is the B-1 B-10 belts the same number? Is the B-110 & B-112 the same number?

Hi, Regarding comment 3, A good rule of thumb regarding the spindle belt. If it is a deck with arbors that use 2 bolts to hold the blades on, [early stamping]all of the 42s use the same belt and the same is true for all of the 48s. The decks with the newer stamping that use the 1 bolt to hold on the blades use the same belt for 42s and all of the 1 bolt 48s use the same belt. The only exception will be if an early stamping has had the conversion arbors put in, it will still use the 2bolt deck belt. You can tell if it is a conversion as the 1 bolt arbor conversions will have 2 aluminum spacers under them to make the blades the correct height. Good luck, Al

The top drive pulley from my deck was chipped (previous owner must have flipped the deck over to work on it) and dealer told me new ones were unavailable. I ended up getting a composite pulley that comes in pieces which slide over the arbor and tighten to it and the pulley sheave with machine screws that draw it all toghether. No pins, no problems, works great.