Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Have KT 17 questions

tim

Just to start off by saying I'm really glad that this club exsist I've learned so much so far just by looking at all of the info in the club. Now to my question its been hard to find a series II kt 17( the only one I can afford has a hole in crankcase but guy told me it runs the way it is we'll see) but I located one in MN off a JD317 you guys have told me it will work show what will I have to change on it so it bolts right up to my 7117.? Thanks Tim

I'd be leary of one with a hole in it, it is probably only running on one cylinder and has snapped one of the rods. The deere tractors used a somewhat different engine but I don't know what was different other than it is a different spec #.

This is a great post. I can buy a 7117 locally with a picture window hole in the right side of the block that is running on the other cylinder. These tractors with a Kohler KT 17 with a broken right connecting rod crop up all the time. I would only consider buying the local one if I can repower with a "good ole" Briggs 326431 16 HP. I can easily deal with changing the wiring over to Briggs ignition from battery ignition but can you yank out a KT 17 and bolt in a Briggs 16? Is the drive shaft to the BGB different from one to the other?

quote:
Originally posted by rsnik
...but can you yank out a KT 17 and bolt in a Briggs 16? Is the drive shaft to the BGB different from one to the other?
Yes you can. You just need a driveshaft from a 7116. One is longer than the other.

Hi Tim, Welcome to the club. There is a discussion on the series I and series II KT 17 right below. It sounds like even the series II is a "don't want" engine. I favor the Briggs 326431, 16HP, one cylinder, cast iron engine. As Rod and others have pointed out, even when the engine wears out it can often be puffed up again with just a new set of rings. As RayS and RBE17 say, you can bolt in a Briggs 16, all you need is the driveshaft you will probably get with the engine. If you don't already know how to switch over from the battery ignition of the Kohler to the magneto ignition of the Briggs it is a very straight forward procedure.

Tim, the KT17 from a JD317 will work. The PTO shaft is different, which you are not using anyway. BUT....I would be very leary of a KT17 from a JD. The JD had an enclosed engine compartment (side panels) and the KTs ran extremely hot. JD 317 did more to give the KT17s a bad reputation than all other tractors combined, most did not last 1 year. While the KT17 in a Simplicity or AC with the open sides lasted for years before destruction. (Of course nothing matches the old cast iron singles for longevity). Has the engine been rebuilt? Was it the cam that punched the hole or a rod? Is the hole patched/welded? If not repaired I'd walk away unless the engine is free.