Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front PTO electric clutch project

DeaneBruce

I want to install an electric clutch to the front of my kohler 1-inch pto shaft to drive a snowthower. Does anyone have information on this type of project? I have the hitch for 1690033 so I think all set there. I got a clutch ready to be wired. My concern is the wiring of the clutch. I see the PTO switches on ebay. One is 8-prong another is 4-prong. One is just a toggle. What would the schematic be to these prongs. A fuse goes somewhere.

I have a A/C 314D with a simple 2 pole switch that just sends power to it when turned on. That is the way I got it and I am sure that is the way it came from the factory. I would also put a fuse at the source of your power connection.

The simple answer is all you need to work the clutch is a single pole single throw switch sending power to the clutch coil from a fused power supply. Example: the large frame tractors have a circuit breaker behind the fuel tank for the entire electrical system. From the CB to the ignition switch, to the clutch switch, to the clutch. The other wire from the clutch connector goes to a good ground point. The other switches found on eBay probably have several switches built inside of them to do multiple things. There are an almost infinite number of switches doing different things such as safety interlock devices and such. In your case all you need is the "Simple" solution.:)

Not really electrical, but this thread has a couple pics of what you are thinking of, Dutch and Phandad... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=24161

The electric clutch shown in 2burning's reference post matches the dimensions of the old two piece front electric clutches that were on the A/C built Homelites, 314, etc. It's a Warner clutch, part number 5215-142. I bought it in July of 2003 from J Thomas for $180. Here's a drawing of the clutch:

I have a higher quality image, but it's too large to post. If you're interested in the better image, email and I'll send it to you. And here's a link to my earlier post about finding this replacement electric clutch: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=18927&SearchTerms=electric%2Cpto As to a switch to control it, I used a double pole, double throw switch(I think that is the correct name; it has 6 connections on the back). In the "on" position, 12V+ is supplied to the clutch and the start safety circuit is open. In the "off" position no power is supplied to the clutch and the start safety circuit is closed. Power comes from the accessory position of the ignition switch so it is protected by the main circuit breaker.

No. No regulator, it's still being powered by the tractors 12vDC electrical system. Your routing the circut through the ignition switch, [this will cut the clutch off if you switch the key/ignition switch off]then to the clutch ON/OFF switch, [this controls only the clutch]so the clutch doesn't run all the time.