Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transmission Oil Seals

ronstapleton

I have a Simplicity Landlord tractor Model 990314 with leaking axle oil seals. Can the transmission/axle oil seals be changed without splitting the transmission case and removing the axle? I think the oil seals are pressed in from the outside of the transmission case, but can the new seals be slipped over the axle then be seated? Thanks, Ron

You can replace them without splitting the case. I would file off any burrs around the keyways. I have also read that you can or should wrap the axle tube with saran wrap to keep from damaging the seal.

Hi, Take an awl or pointed punch and poke 2 to 4 equally spaced holes in the side and then use a slide hammer sequentially to pull them out. You can buy a small slide hammer at auto part stores that has a capped nut with a hole in it for a sheet metal screw to go through. These are used in body shops to pull creases out. A series of hole is drilled and the nut screwed in and then on the hammer and then on to the next and then repeat the cycle pulling a little at a time. If you use an awl and poke the hole in the "roll" in the hole provides a better grip for the screw. You may want to run a screw in to start a thread and then grind the point off one and run it in. This will allow better thread engagement. If you are blessed with a recess in the casting, or a completely caged needle bearing behind your holes, you may be able to just turn the screws in and "push" the seals out. Good luck, Al Eden

Here's a post with some detail about removing seals: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67573 There's another post showing the same thing being done on a tranny, but I can't find it.

Found the post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=18062 This should be in the Tech Tips section.

Thanks for the help. I changed both oil seals today in about 2 hours. I think I can do it in 30-45 minutes the next time. I used the method of drilling a small hole in the oil seal and inserted a sheet metal screw to back out the old seal. Worked great. Ron