Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pto clutch ??? What Next???

neil56

G'day, I have broken two springs in the pto of my 7016, the first one I thought fair enough, after all the spring is 30 years old, I replaced it with another one from my parts machine, but within a few hours of mowing it has also broken, can anyone throw some light on this one, cheers Neil Gday again,thanks for the replies,you gotta love this place it's a gold mine of info, okay I've had a look at the pto shaft, and it is worn, it appears the inner part of the clutch has been wobbling around on it, the bearing in that part of the clutch seems to spin freely so I don't know why it has done this, it appears there was some sort of bush inside the bearing where it sat on the shaft, and this is quite worn. I have a parts tractor with a good shaft, should I transplant the bgb from one tractor to the other, or can I change shafts from one g/box to the other with the box still in the tractor, I don't have a shop manual so I'm just guessing,if I do have to swap g/box can someone please give me a brief description of the steps,thanks again, cheers Neil,

I would check the bearing inside diameter to see if it has a sloppy fit when it is on the crosshaft and see if the retaining rings are where they belong and haven`t moved. Also check to see if the PTO is adjusted to spec. I never heard of that spring breaking.

Hi, First your used spring may have been close to breaking when you installed it. Second I agree with Ray but would add also look at the Shaft. If it is worn where the bearing runs, this could contribute, but the most common result of wear in these 2 items is the clutch plate linings having very short lives. Al Eden