Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mods

Dark

I have seen alot of Nice Members tractors I have a question for members though...How much of a sin is it to enhance the looks of a tractor Ie.Paint chrome wrong parts ect.. I would like to update some of the tin on my tractor with SS or Aluminum chrome some parts and so on but I wouldn't want to be chastised by other club members for doing so. so I ask the club what is allowed??

My opinion is that none of these tractors, with exception to a 7790 diesel or maybe a powermax size tractor, are really worth that much money. It's not like your cutting up a 69 boss 429. I would say go ahead and enjoy. I sure wouldn't be offended.

I have a old harley knucklehead engine I can repower with and alot of chrome to go with it also thought about wheels and crome headlights and stacks

I love my landlord the way it is and would have to "Pimp" a donar tractor instead but just wondering what is or would be tolerated by club members

we perhaps need an additional category - owner, collector and "hacker". (I saw that here somewhere). There are some rare ones out there besides the Powermax and 7790, a shame to chop one of those. If it isn't a museum piece well it is your tractor and if you think you can make it better in some sense go for it. When I bought my landlord it had homemade duals, turnsignals and headlights front and back, TWO horns, and a trailer hitch with the trailer electrical connector, plus a bunch of other minor mods. I don't feel guilty modifying that tractor. Every few months it becomes less factory. Something cherry might be a different story. My $0.02, somewhat over priced today. -Don

Mark, the bottom line is that it's your tractor! Do with it as you please! Some mite love it and some mite not, but who cares. As long as your having fun and like what you have done, that is all that is important. I have hacked a few frames to put my touches on a tractor. I also painted my wife tractor orange with a black hood with flames.

I agree with Elon. They're your tractors, do whatever modifications you see fit. I'm sure just about anything you can think of, has been tried at least once.....^

Just do us all a favor -- don't paint them green and yellow! :O Custom is one thing, pretending to be a competitor is another... sm01

Absolutely, do as you please! Don't want to feel guilty? Find a more common Simplicity donor tractor and Pimp that one up. Bottom line, enjoy! Don't worry about "offending" anyone here.:o) There are some definite opinions to be found here. Ask about which is better, RBT or FDT, or Ford, Chevy or Dodge.:D Point is, only yours matters to you.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Just do us all a favor -- don't paint them green and yellow! :O Custom is one thing, pretending to be a competitor is another... sm01
:D Oh yeah, good point. Didn't think of that!:D

As said it is your tractor to do as you please. I won't get mad, really, even if I wouldn't do itsm00. Oh unless maybe you paint it green and yellow as Kent saidB):D.

Times change and things change. I thought it was a sin when Ski-Doo dropped their trademark yellow for various colors. Used to be able to tell the different snowmobiles by their color. Then again there was the time you could tell a Chevy form a Ford from a Chrysler, from a Camry before you got close enough to read the nameplate.:(! And then of course you could also tell what brand of car was on the NASCAR track.B) Simplicity's 75th Anniv model should not be touched! But then again anything to keep them from rusting away and keep them running. Here are a couple of pics I saved some time ago for inspiration. If the owner could identify them self and tell us a little more.

It would be nice to have an original model restored next to it at a show to show the difference.;)

quote:
Originally posted by Dark
I have a question for members though...How much of a sin is it to enhance the looks of a tractor Ie.Paint chrome wrong parts ect..
Dark, If you are saving it from the junk yard there is no sin.

is that OD Green? looks great love the chrome wheels I agree a tractor such as the (Simplicity's 75th Anniv model)is in itself a rareity and yea It would be a factory restore next to a mod in the shows. my super bee has brought home trophies against the full size farm tractors but I am trying to make them go into a different class at our annual year one car show.sm00 that brings me to the point that next labor day all entries are welcome I would love to see club members rides show up :o)

Mark and Mike, Beautiful tractors. :o) Mark, Personally, I don't take offense when people modify tractors. I personally wouldn't chop up an antique (anything that was made prior to 1970). Anything made after 1970, to me is up for grabs. Eventually, I'd love to put on a larger shaft pulley on my 4211-H, after I have gotten myself another mower that is reliable. As Elon and others here said, they're your tractors, do what you wish with them. You did a beautiful job on the Super Bee. I'm sure you'll do just as a nice job on future projects. :)

"I love the rear shocks on msiebern's machine above. Nice touch!!" Ditto the above. ^ Would like to see more details on the shocks and how they work.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
"I love the rear shocks on msiebern's machine above. Nice touch!!" Ditto the above. ^ Would like to see more details on the shocks and how they work.
I wish it was mine. ;)
quote:
Originally posted by msiebern
"Here are a couple of pics I saved some time ago for inspiration. If the owner could identify them self and tell us a little more.
I have a bad habit of saving pictures I find on the net but not making notations on where I found them or more about them. I thought I might have got them here, but it may have been in one of the yahoo groups. From what I could see on the pics, the coil overs are manly for looks. The tractor was done in dark silver with much chrome, stainless, and other gingerbread added for a Harley Davidson theme. I'll have to dig a little and see if I can find the originals again.

I personally can't take offense to modifying these old tractors, mainly because I am in the middle of one!:I Like others have said, I don't believe in chopping up a rare or especially nice one. My tractor was a totall pasture queen, basket case. I am calling it the Super Bee as well, stay tuned, with the time changing soon I will be hitting it hard.:D Or so I hope!

I have one I don't mind modifying,it had been,abused before I got it.I extended the front end so I could use a 48in deck on it,I just picked up a 16 hp B.S. twin cyl.for it.I will post pic when I start on it. My other 4 tractors I keep original.