Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sleeve a 16 HP Cast Iron Briggs ?

haykarenhardy

I checked with a Local Machine shop, they have sleeved Wisconsin engines for the Amish Farmers for some time. These engines are air cooled cast iron engines like my 326431 16 hp Briggs. I could go back to standard bore with a new piston which is still available from Briggs. Has anyone sleeved a cast iron Briggs engine? Stan

Did they give you a quote? Has to be cheaper than finding a new engine to repower if the crank is still usable. I know several who have sleeved Kohlers and had great results.

Hi, We have sleeved K series Kohlers. I quit doing my own boring and sleeve work, and I use Recreational Motosports in Cedar Rapids Iowa. They do a ton or small engine race work and do a ton of 5 hp race engines they ship all over the world. They have a 5 hp block jr dragster engine in the shop that dynos out about 20 hp. They build a couple of hundred 5 hp Honda, Kaw and Robin engines a year for the 5hp block jr snowmobile race sleds. They even develope and grind their own cams. There work is flawless. Check this site out. www.recmotor.com Scott Minnzenmeyer was my first employee when I put Simplicity in about 1980. He was a state champion moto-crosser that did his own bikes and was 17 years old. I gave him the check book and said make it happen. I had a full time job at Rockwell and did the shop nights and Sat and Sumdays. He was an excellent employee, but went on to bigger and better things. I suspect it would be a little over 100 to 125.00 to sleeve one of these. Use 3/32 wall sleeves, not the 1/8 th wall. We replaced a K 341 in a greens mower 20 years ago, that was sleeved with a 3/16 wall sleeve and the cylinder separated from the crankcase below the fins. This where the 4" Kohlers come apart in the pulling tractors and why they use straps on the heads and draw bolts from the head to the bottom of the crankcase. The new after market blocks with no fins and thicker walls can go out about 4 1/2 inches, and not need straps. Most pulling clubs limit to a 4" bore anyway. Put in a stroker crank, good cam, huge valve, special head, Inserted rod, racing piston, alcohol carb and alcohol for fuel and see 60 plus hp on the dyno at about 7000 rpm. Have one of these built in one of the top race shops about $90.00 a horsepower or 5 to $6000.00, but they pull. Al Eden

For the crankshaft and sleeve just under $200.00 Hope they can turn the crankshaft, it is the question? Stan