Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

right angle gear box on AC 310

alfredr

The front bearing just went out on the right angle gear box that goes from the driveshaft to the belt for the variable speed drive. Is this the death of the tractor? It looks like this gearbox is central to holding the whole tractor together. It looks like getting it out will involve major disassembly of the frame; front to rear and left to right. And upside down too, of course. Or can it be done through the hole in the center frame member? Still laying on my back,of course. Pulling remains of bearing off of shaft and out of the gear box case? And how much has fallen inside to mess things up later? I hate to give up on this; I hate to give up on anything. Ask me about Porsche 914s and Gravelys, or not. Thanks for any suggestions or advice. Alfred

WELCOME; The beveled gear box or BGB as stated here are repairable, they need to be taken out for the complete job, It is not all that big of a job, but you will have to split the tractor to do it.

See: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76585 Most folks remove the entire gearbox from the tractor. You are correct in that the case is the link between the front and back frame. If you search the forums there are some methods and pics to show how it's done. Usually a jack stand is placed under the front frame, the linkages are unfastened, the pulley(s) from the cross shaft are removed, the side plate bolts are removed completely from the BGB and from one side of the tranny. The whole back end is maneuvered away from the front (some use a floor jack to help). The drive shaft is disconnected, yoke removed (or at least loosened), and the four bolts holding the BGB to the front frame are removed. And then you're ready for the rebuild.

Thanks for the info, however the link doesn't work for me, tells me I'm not allowed. Probably has something to do with being new here? The bearing will probably be about $10 at Bearings and Drives, but are they even open on Saturday if I can get it out today, or will this be parked in pieces for a month and I have a chance to forget what goes where? Obviously, I can't give up on it over a ten dollar bearing, but I have grass to mow and that will take most of the day with a push mower. Good forum. Thanks

Wait just a moment, I just noticed your screen name, PhanDad. Does that indicate a son or daughter in Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps? My son just aged out with them.

• 2 weeks later...
Can I get some more advice from you all? (That's the plural you all, of course.) I have gotten the BGB out and opened up and it is not good. Besides the front bearing that I thought was the problem, both gears should be replaced, one is ground down, one chipped, etc. and the front ball bearing has about half the balls loose in the case. Do I try to get parts? or do I look for a whole gearbox? and how interchangeable are BGBs from other models? There is a BGB from a 7013 on ebay right now, $75 buy it now plus $20 shipping. Is that a good deal and would it even work for me. It ends tonight. Do I need to jump on it? The best I can find out is my AC 310 is a Simplicity model no. 1600044, serial no. is 15103410. There are listed two different gearboxes for that model. Are they even interchangeable? Thanks for all your help and advice. Alfred

The 7013 that is on ebay is for a hydro. Your 310 should be a variable speed. The hydros use a different cross shaft than the variable speeds. Problem with buying a used gearbox is they usually have 30 years on them as well and you don`t really know what you are getting until it arrives in the mail. The keyways wear out and it seems that the inputshaft wears more than the cross shafts. You can sink alot of money in one of these BGB`s fast.

Okay, it already ended anyway. But how can you tell it's from a hydro? I don't see it in the description. Is it in the dimensions? So what do I do? I already have one that I can sink a lot of money into if that's the only option? Thanks, Alfred

The veriable BGB is about 2" longer on the trans side. You need to ask if on ebay. If your shafts are good all you should need is the gears, all bearings, and all seals, maybe some shims.

Well then, can I change the shaft from my BGB into a hydro gearbox to make it work for me? The price still looks good to me.

You should download your parts manual and the parts manual for the 7013 and compare the diameter of the ball bearings on the input and cross shafts. According to your serial number your tractor has the 7/8" inside diameter bearings and the 7013 should as well. in the parts manual for the 300 series tractors it shows effective with serial numbers 15101001 that the shaft diameters and the ball bearings are larger than the number prior to that. They went from 3/4" shafts and bearings to 7/8" diameters. I would make sure that your BGB has the larger diameters shafts and bearings for sure if you are wanting to buy that 7013 BGB.I have BGB gears for both diameters shafts if you are not wanting to buy new.