Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K241 oil consumtion

Chris727

Hi. The Kohler K241 in my 710 has been using a lot of oil. It went from full to add after only 30 minutes of use. It has been getting increasingly worse, I use 40 wt in it. The engine is not weak and has no lack of power, and it doesn't smoke very much unless it has sat for a while, then it clears up. Once warmed up and under load, some smoke seems to come from somewhere behind the carb, rather than from the exhaust, I guess its the breather. I know a plugged breather can cause smoking but can it cause this kind of oil consumption? I've never really torn into a kohler yet, just trying to rule out the simple things before going for a pricey engine rebuild. Thanks in advance. Chris

Hey, Chris... All IC Piston engines have the same basic principles if It is consuming oil you have to find a leak ...internal or external put the piston at bottom dead center with both valves closed put the cylinder under 90 psi of air presure. if it comes from the carb or eghaust check valves and guides if it comes from a baffle or PCV system rings leak if the cylinder holds the 90 psi then your induction system is sucking oil from the crankase through the PCV system each engine has a different system depending on the manufacture. Some use valves some use a baffle system if the induction system is sucking oil you will have to clean or replace the PCV system. Saftey Note: !! air pressure in the cylinder will cause the piston to move if not at bottom dead center and cause a pinch point hazzard.

From behind the carb would be the crankcase breather. You must have the older system that is open to atmosphere instead of being routed to the air filter housing. Sounds like she's needing a rebuild.