Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Amp gauge swings back and forth

Michiganmobileman

Hello to all. 7016 with briggs engine, no charge at first. So I went through the troubleshooting guide (from Edens Ltd. BIG THANKS TO YOU FOLKS:D) concerning this system and determined the gen was working so bad regulator. I removed the original reg and took off the cover, found the double set of contacts looked burned. Cleaned contacts and reinstalled reg and got the wild swing back and forth. Replaced with another regulator and still get this swing, while running the ammeter swings from high to no charge rapidly. Is it worth the time to try and adjust this at the regulator coils or just look for a different one? If adjustable any clues as to how. Thanks as always, Greg

Did you replace with a new regulator? We did adjust regulators on farm tractors but this can be tricky, easy to get overcharge and IMO when contacts are bad replace the regulator. Try running a ground wire from regulator to engine, check wire for loose connectors and clean connectors. Is the wiring in good condition, if not replace. Stan

I don't think the regulator is the problem. I have several tractors whose amp guages do this, but the charging systems work fine. Get a voltmeter and read the voltage across the battery terminals. If you're getting 13-14 volts you are probably OK. If the battery is new then you may not even read 13 because there is no charge required. I think it is most likely that the amp guage is worn out from age.

What kind of replacement regulator did you find? I had regulator problems and read everything available here (BTW is the troubleshooting guide you mentioned here at the site? I would like to read it) . At one point there was mention (in the guide I read) of the fact that the Simplicity 3 pole regulator works in a reverse fashion to the ones you buy at Napa. The cut out stimulates the generator to produce voltage instead of stopping voltage generation (or was it the other way around?) At any rate the caution was that the regulator for a Simplicity (Delco) starter/generator looks like a common 3 pole regulator but a common 3 pole regulator won't work.

Thanks for the replys guys. Yes it was another used regulator from another simplicity. No I have not checked to see if the voltage at the battery is a steady charge (but will shortly). Al Edens website where I obtained the troubleshooting guides http://www.edensltd.com/tech_notes.htm Hope this is ok with Mr Eden, I am not sure where I found the link but expect it was buried somewhere in the club here. Will go and fire up the old girl and check the voltage while dancing (ammeter not me) Greg

OK as I slowly remove my head from my butt..... I do have over 13 volts steady at the battery, even while gauge is dancing. I assumed (yeah I know) that the unit was not charging steady due to the gauge dancing. Of the 10 or so tractors i have or have had I had never seen a ammeter do this. Well now I have, and my day is complete as I have learned something new. As always thanks for the help. Next project getting the tractors ready for snow duty. Greg

if you had a loose field connection it could cause this, but you'd see a small fluctuation in battery voltage as it came and went. Battery voltage would change only a small amount from +10 charging to -10 discharging unless it stays one way or the other for a while. For that matter, you really don't have anything that is consuming power when running, so it should never go much negative. (not counting lights etc) The regulator is actually bouncing the charge current all over as the contacts open and close. But normally that happens way too fast for the ammeter to respond to it. The ammeter has some sort of damping built in, not sure how they do it on these because I've never torn one apart. Otherwise it would bounce all over as you go over bumps and it would respond to those quick changes in the regulator. So y'all need a new ammeter someday, that's cheaper than a regulator. :D

Greg, thank for for that link! Starter/generator/regulator problems are my least favorite. I actually enjoy dealing with some problems (for example the Swedish Bikini Team wants to pose in front of my tractor when I need it to mow the lawn). However, I hate starter/generator/regulator problems and a good trouble shooting source is much appreciated.

quote:
The ammeter has some sort of damping built in, not sure how they do it on these because I've never torn one apart.
That sounds like an invitation:D. Just so happens I have one I didnt sell, will put this other ammeter in and dissect the current one (assuming the new one is steady) because I have never torn one apart either. Love to see what makes things work;), preferably after they are broken. I beleive the troubleshooting thanks should be pointed to Al Eden and his website, I will accept an atta boy. Greg

I actually enjoy dealing with some problems (for example the Swedish Bikini Team wants to pose in front of my tractor when I need it to mow the lawn). When the Bikini Team shows up I'll be glad to mow your lawn for you.8D