Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rsnik

The hanging tree..

rsnik
I strung the hood of the 7016H up between 2 small trees to spray it with Rust-Oleum #7780 clean metal primer. This was after lots of paint prep elbow grease. br]

At one point I had a cold wind blowing, so I turned the hood into the cold wind to take advantage of the cooling effect and burned the decals off with a propane torch. Usually you have to apply some form of cold to the back of the tin to avoid warping the tin when burning off a decal.

Funny story is, the hood is strung between decorative trees in a landscaped area. I have my left foot and leg stuck deeply under a very big, low shrub below the trees while trying to spray the underside of the hood and suddenly I feel a large critter, probably a rabbit, clawing and kicking to get over the ankle of my foot which is, I guess stuck down in the front door of it's burrow, LOL! It didn't bite so I kept on spraying.

joshuaareed
Looks real nice. What is your secret for removing the old paint from the hood? I have been using a wire wheel on a drill, so far it has worked well but it is slow going. Just wondering if you had some tips to share.

rsnik
I don't know if these results can be reproduced. But I took dry cleaning plastic that your shirts come back from the dry cleaner in. I bought Evap O Rust which is supposed to be a solution you dip parts in. I sloshed on the Evap O Rust and then wrapped the hood with the dry cleaning plastic. This is getting to sound so strange that I am sure by now you wish you had not even asked about this, LOL! I peeled up the plastic and sloshed on more Evap O Rust if it looked dry. This was during hot weather. After a day or so I power washed the hood and all the paint just came right off. I would say "Don't try this at home" but that's what happened!

rsnik
Just thought I would add that if, by accident or design all the paint comes off the hood you need to spray the tin temporarily with a bare metal primer. You might also be able to "pickle" it with WD40 or PB Power Blaster. I found that just the moisture inside the shed causes rust bloom that etches the metal and will print through the eventual paint job and give a blotchy look to the finish. To overcome this problem you have to apply several coats of a wet sandable automobile primer and then carefully wet sand on the primer and try not to sand down into the uneven metal surface. Here is a pic of the first coat of Rust Oleum rattle can automobile primer #2081 that I just sprayed on. Waiting for the sun to come out and the wind to quit blowing tries your patience. Ever try rattle can spraying in the breeze? All the paint blows away and nothing goes on what you are painting. I can (and will) have to move into the shed to paint, but then everything else has to come out or get covered to keep the overspray paint dust off it.