Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wonderboy help

bud119195

I am starting on my 57 wonderboy 575 and was wondering if anyone knows of a source for the white pan seat cover? Also I need the joy stick re-chromed or find a good one with no rust. Thanks for any help I can get.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Bud, I also have a 575 that I am working on. I think it must be a 1959 or later to be a 575, if I am not mistaken. The 57 and 58 models didn't have a 5 3/4 horse motor. I also looked for a replacement seat cover, and haven't found any. Thinking of having an upholstery shop make me one. As far as the chrome, probably best to have a chrome shop redo it. Won't be cheap, but I haven't seen any that weren't rusty and pitted. If you have an extra engine hood, let me know, as mine is in really bad shape and I am looking for a better one. Good luck! Steve-wis

Wonderboy 575 was made in 1958 and again in 1961 and had a 5¾hp Briggs engine 1957 had 3.6hp and 4hp Clinton engines. in 1961 there was a 450 with a 4½hp and 575 with 5¾hp Briggs engines. The engine manual does not list a wonderboy for 1959 & 1960 other than the 700 which was the large frame size tractor which in 1961 became the 725.

Maynard, I think they did offer the wonder boy "rear engine rider" in 59 http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1959.htm I don't know why it isn't listed in the "made when" list. http://www.simpletractors.com/made_when/1957-1964.htm Could, it have been submitted wrong? Is there any way to verify this type of info? Would Simplicity have this on file? If so, maybe we should see if we can get a copy for Kent to put on the site.

( "Offer" ) and ( "Made/produced" ) are two different things There are many mistakes/omissions in Simplicity's manuals. Some are obvious some not, some hard to believe the same omission would occur in two or more manuals. A 1959 Wonderboy 575 is not listed in the made when list nor is it in the Simplicity engine application manual. It is quite possible and plausible that there was not one made in 1959. One reason for this could have been over production of the Wonderboy 575 and the manufacture of the Wonderboy 700 then the 700 and the confusion between the tractor style and rider lawn mower style with the same name. Also Simplicity did not produce model years. The year the unit was sold became its. ( "model year" ). Also again the reason for the 1959 model year brochure could be to promote the sale of the Wonderboy 575's in stock. I doubt that You would find out anything different from Simplicity as they didn't keep very accurate accounting of these things and most people at Simplicity now are to young to remember. And now that Simplicity is owned by Briggs and Stratton no one will know or allowed to give it out if it did exist. If I remember right I believe Kent has requested similar info from Simplicity and was told it didn't exist. I believe Kent has as an accurate history or in some cases more accurate history than Simplicity as I believe Kent got a lot of this info from Simplicity and Some from private collections of former Simplicity Executives that were given to him. JMO