Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sunrunner

difference in the pulleys from a 5216 to 6216

sunrunner
Bought a 6216 just for mowing...Briggs 16 hp 402707 0131, bad engine...also bought a 16 hp from a 5216 Briggs 402707 0145, runs great. My problem is the shaft pulley's....They both look the same and measure the same.....The shaft on the 0131 is straight and has a square stock key, the 0145 has a tapered end with a half moon key. The pulley mounting bolt on the 0131 is 5/8 where the other is 9/16, but again both pulley's look alike???? Will this work or can someone send me in the right direction - Thanks:o)

sunrunner
On the 0131 engine the shaft is 1" solid with key, on the 0145 the shaft is 1" down about 2 1/2" then changes slightly a 32ish" smaller - both pulleys are 1" - If I put the pulley on the 0145 one and install the mounting bolt - will the 2 1/2" of 1" and the mounting bolt be enough to hold the pulley on straight?? or should I try and see what happens?? Just seeing what others would think - Thanks

sunrunner
I still get a wobble from both pulleys - Does any on have a pic or dimensions for a 5200 series engine pulley to compare it to the 6200 series one and if both engines are of the briggs 402707 series with 1" shaft (one straight and one tapered) they both should work?sm00

Al
Hi, I think you have an engine that was originally in a Sears, or built for one. They used the stepped down crank, one must be careful buying a used Sears engine as some have the straight crank and some the stepped one. Some of the earlier pulleys had a keyway. The later ones had a "key" stamped in the side that slit and dimpled the side of the tube and the dimple became the key for the crank on the engine. Al Eden