Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
henryw

3112 Right Discharge Deck Swap

henryw
Greetings All and thanks in advance for your help. This is my first post. I have a wonderful 3112 that I love dearly and has served me well over the last 3 years. I'm a late bloomer when it comes to Simple Tractors - but completely "sold" on them. For the last several years I've been using a Cyclone Rake (www.cyclonerake.com - an awesome product IMHO) to pickup and mulch my leaves using my neighbors Husky tractor/mower. Sadly, my neighbor has moved to Cleveland and I'm left w/o a right side discharge tractor, which is what the Cyclone Rake requires. I've been looking at vintage Decks from Cub/Allison/IH and I was wondering if anyone has had any success adapting a right discharge deck to a 3112 or similar vintage machine? Any gotchas? I can certainly drill holes and mount brackets, but I'd like to avoid welding if possible. Items i'm considering: 44" deck from a Cub model 1250 (ebay item 150171844215) 42" deck from an Allis 314/416 (ebay item 190102363914) Both have single center drive pulleys and 3 blades (like my 3112) but the Allis looks very similar to my deck. Regards and thanks again, Henry

wilm169
First WELCOME; The allis deck should mount right up just not as deep, you will have to flip your belt over to make it work is all. Make sure to check the front of the allis deck by the hangers to see if it is cracked or not, they can be fixed.

henryw
Hey Wilm, THANKS for that quick reply. Now all I've got to do is get the folks in S.D. selling that deck to give me a reasonable shipping quote. Certainly better than investing in a new (yuk) tractor! Leaves are just starting to come down so I've got a couple of weeks, I hope. Regards, Henry

Chris727
You might try posting a want ad and find something closer to you, the allis deck is definitely going to fit your needs better than the cub cadet deck, the allis deck will float like your original deck, and should pin to the front axle the same way.

henryw
Again Gentlemen (and to be PC - ladies if you are out there) thanks. My assumption is that I may need another belt that will be able to cover the distance required and have a twist in it. Also... if the center pulley is lower, that there is enough tension so that the belt wont ride off the pulley. The folks offering the deck are going to check if they can come down on the shipping (they quoted $160!). So for $260 I can do the experiment!?! About 1/2 the price I paid for my 3012 with a deck and snow thrower! Unfortunately, I might bite the bullet cause the leaves are threatening (to fall). I'll post a wanted ad too. Regards, HMW

henryw
Hey Chris, I got the deck for $99 and shipping for another $70 from a yard out in S.D. Leroy (very helpful) was able to box it and send it DHL to keep the cost down. I remember when palette truck shipments were pretty cheap and boxed stuff more expensive. I guess times have changed. I'm hoping to get it this week and maybe (if I can get it swapped over) I'll take some photos for the forum. Regards, Henry

henryw
Got the deck last night and as suspected... it was cracked/rotted and repaired at the front hangers. Repair job isn't bad and it should hold fine for now. I'm squirreling around with the starter belt (another post) but figure that it should mount fine based on what I've seen so far. I'll update with photos. Henry