Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hwp

Front PTO quit!

hwp
how do I check the electic clutch on my AC 720. Unit worked fine when I shut her down, 2 days later I go out and start it to move some dirt, and the front PTO will not ingage. I have power to the clutch, and have adjusted acording to book. What/How should I check with meter to see if its OK?

D-17_Dave
You'll need a good digital ohm meter to see what's really happening. If it will not engage at all then try the following. First unplug the electrical connection near the coil and set the meter on ohm's and connect it to the plug. You should get approximately 4 ohm. resistance if memory serves me. If you get 0 it's dead shorted. If you get no continuity then the coil is open and also bad. Also the meter should not read any continuity from either wire to chassis ground. If you ohm it out and it checks good then reconnect the coil to the harness and get it where you can connect the meter to the powered wire from the switch while the coil is plugged up. If you turn on the switch and it powers but it drops well below 12 volts AND you saw no short on the ohm meter when you checked the coil then you probably have a bad switch. The switch can flow enough voltage to read just on the meter but when you apply the load of the clutch coil it drops out to not enough voltage to work the clutch. I hope I've made sense. Let us know what you find.

D-17_Dave
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
You'll need a good digital ohm meter to see what's really happening. If it will not engage at all then try the following. First unplug the electrical connection near the coil and set the meter on ohm's and connect it to the plug. You should get approximately 4 ohm. resistance if memory serves me. If you get 0 it's dead shorted. If you get no continuity then the coil is open and also bad. Also the meter should not read any continuity from either wire to chassis ground. If you ohm it out and it checks good then reconnect the coil to the harness and get it where you can connect the meter to the powered wire from the switch while the coil is plugged up. If you turn on the switch and it powers but it drops well below 12 volts AND you saw no short on the ohm meter when you checked the coil then you probably have a bad switch. The switch can flow enough voltage to read just on the meter but when you apply the load of the clutch coil it drops out to not enough voltage to work the clutch. I hope I've made sense. Let us know what you find.
I guess I should rephrase this. No continuity at all means an open winding. ie, it's still shot.XX( Well, after 20+ years I guess it's OK if something goes out.