Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vac question

ehertzfeld

Dose anyone else have this problem? Wile using a vac system with a deck, to suck up leaves, the wind from the blades blows the leaves to the left front of the tractor. At the end, it leaves a line of leaves that keep moving to the side. I keep going, pass after pass, and the line does get smaller, but it still leaves a line of leaves. What I was thinking of doing, is to bolt on a rubber flap across the front of the deck, to block the wind. Anyone try this, or come up with another idea?

most bagging decks have a sheet metal lip or ridge that would cause the deck to become a vacume housing this would cause things to be sucked under the deck instead of pushed away. the sheet metal is even with the bottom of the deck and away from the blades ((Not unlike a Fan shroud))I have noticed that my 2210 deck has square holes around the bottom this may be what is supposed to be the use of them.

My vac has the sheetmetal lip,I vacume in low gear or I get the wind row. Low is very boring by the time I do 2 acres,but I get a very clean row. My bigest problem is pinecones they all want to get in the trailor at once. Then I get to clean out the snout. I've been thinking of changing the pully on the tranaxel to slow down second gear a little but still be faster then low. I'll see how that works. Sorry not much help but aleast I got to vent a little.:)

This is my B112 that I converted to Hydro. I tried it at every speed, and not much difference. I'm going to try the rubber flap, and I'll see how it works the next time I mow.

quote:
Originally posted by richp
Elon, are your trees empty yet? Seem out my way it's taking forever for the trees to change coler.
Not quite, but a lot have fallen.

i thought of exactly the same idea (rubber or sheet metal flap or shroud), but decided not to do it because the leaves need to get up under the deck from the front. i already have enough of a problem "plowing" leaves if they are deep at all, and i have the deck set as high as possible. this height does increase the "blow-out" especially when i'm doing the driveway, but not too bad in the yard. best thing i thought of would be to collect leaves in REVERSE (with the flap)! reverse is kinda slow isn't it - might not need to change any belts on the trans. ;)

I researched this myself and agree, it is a little maddening. But not that big of a deal considering the huge volume of leaves that it does gobble up....I can live with the small line of leaves. Plus, you will soon learn that the surest way to know that there is a 'clog' is by the amount of blow-out coming out the front.

this might be helpfull :o)

note how the deck seem to have a raised portion in the front?

And the grass catcher deck has a sheet metal overlay bolted on for this bagger attachment ? hope this helps C|:

I have done both with my B-112. I made a sheet metal lip about 2" and found that the results are about the same.

I had a snapper LT-16 with 48" deck, It would blow grass clippings out the front of deck. I put a piece of belting on front of deck which cut down on dust and clipping in engine, air filters lasted longer also. At the time I had a snapper Hi-Vac for leaves which had a lip under the deck. Those decks were good for bagging. It would leave a line of leaves at the end also. Stan

I also noticed a thin line of chopped up leaves where I turned around, thought at first I was full, then thought maybe going too fast. Not full and did not make a difference going really slow. Just went back over the ends a few times when finished. Beats the heck out of raking:D. Greg

I find that the leaves will blow out from the deck if your on the drive way or a place with little grass but when using on good thick grass I have no problems It works like it should All in all It beats the &*(^ out of the old rake !! :O:(

I just mow so that the left side of the deck is always to the "inside" of the area that I am mowing (the unmowed grass side). This way the row of leaves is always in the area that I haven't mowed. I overlap a few inches on each pass. By the last pass, I just make sure to go over the unmowed strip with the right side of the mower. The result is usually a nice, clean lawn. DaveM

I don't see much of this problem, but I bag leaves just like DaveM does. I have the mounted bagger on a 700 or 900 AC, not the pull behind.

I'm using a peco vac system. It's kinda the same as the trailer one, but with out the trailer. It has a bag hanging off a frame instead of the trailer.

Maybe try a rake and a 12 X 12 tarp to pick them up and get rid of them..................then you can control fly aways.............}:) Rob

So, some of you have a bagger setup on the large frame simps? I was told you can't run a bagger with the deep style decks without help from a suction unit. I have to say, i'm jealous of my neighbor's craftsmen with bagger. I don't want a vac unit because I have no room to store an extra trailer. I have too many seasonal tools that I have to find shelter for 11 months out of the year.

Rich, I'm using a Peco vac system. It has a small platform the attaches to the back of the tractor, with a frame that a bag hangs off of. It's a lot smaller that the trailer ones. If you click on the link, and look at attachment number 5, that is what I'm running. http://www.simpletractors.com/models/900_series/attachments.htm After I posted this, I went out and snaped a pic of the system. As you can see, I'll need to use it again soon, so I'll have to get working on the rubber flap thing.:O:D

quote:
Originally posted by Rob-B
Maybe try a rake and a 12 X 12 tarp to pick them up and get rid of them..................then you can control fly aways.............}:) Rob
What?????? And why would one want to do that?????:O:O:O

If you are using gator blades you may want to switch to the flat blades. Gator blades cause blowout from under the deck, at least on my commercial mower.

quote:
Originally posted by lndscpr
If you are using gator blades you may want to switch to the flat blades. Gator blades cause blowout from under the deck, at least on my commercial mower.
Well that doesn't make any sense. Aren't they marketed for mulching up leaves??

quote:
Originally posted by lndscpr If you are using gator blades you may want to switch to the flat blades. Gator blades cause blowout from under the deck, at least on my commercial mower.
do you have them upside down ??

quote:
Originally posted by Dark
quote:
Originally posted by lndscpr If you are using gator blades you may want to switch to the flat blades. Gator blades cause blowout from under the deck, at least on my commercial mower.
do you have them upside down ??
NO they are on the right way.