Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lead additives in fuel for old engines?

weekendwarrior

OK! I'm new to this board, but I have a question. I'm sure it has been asked before. I just purchased a Model M Simplicity 2 wheel tractor. I'm told, about 1950 with Briggs engine. Everything works fine. I'm a fan of Synthetic fuels. (Tool Fuel). We use it on our fire dept since a lot of our tools sit for long times and when we need the engine to run, We need it to run, now. We have not had problems with bad fuel since switching over to Synthetic fuel. I will be using the fuel in this tractor, but, Do I need to add a lead additive to the fuel to lubricate the valves??? Today's fuels with the alcohol in it are junk, and I don't want to damage the internals on this old Brigg's. Any help would be great Thanks Bill AKA Weekend warrior.fm

Welcome aboard Bill! I don't know the answer to your question as "tool fuel" is new to me. I don't think I have ever heard of it, but you can bet I'm going to do some research on it.

No Briggs made an announcement long ago that no lead fuel was OK for all of the four cycle line and I would imagine they all also OK with E-85. Lead additive was not a lubricant, but a anti knock formula produced by Ethyl corp to allow the use of cheaper gasoline product. It also left white deposits in the exhaust valve. I would like to see who sells "Tool Fuel" and how much per gallon is it?

wow... tool fuel I havent heard that in a long time..sorta like the guys down at the coffee shop talking about tractor fuel (light Kerosine)..any way a briggs motor does not create the high RPM that would hurt the Valve seats. In cars lead had two jobs lubrication and Ping reduction through octaine. Also in case you never heard of it briggs engines will run on kerosine and light deisel you have to start out with gasoline because the engine doesnt have glow plugs but once they warm up they will run on deisel even with the carbrator Realisticly most people dont understand that kerosine and deisel burn faster then gosoline when the mixture of air to fuel is right. Air craft"jet fuel","JP4" is nothing more really then oxiginated deisel.

Here is a link to the tool fuel site I've been a volunteer fire fighter for 27 years This stuff has all but stopped our problems with our portable tools http://www.toolfuel.com/ Hope it helps you out.:) Bill

$9 per gallon is high but probably worth it in some applications. Trouble is, I cannot afford standard gasoline at $2.50 to $3 a gallon.

For home use I have had sucess with Stabil, extending the shelf life of gas left in engines well over a year. And for $4.00 a pint or so, it will treat about 8 gallons of fuel. It also helps to use Stabil before running engines dry for the season. It seems to keep parts from varnishing up.