Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need help with starter/generator problem!!

meck

This morning, my Simplicity B-10 with the combination starter/generator blew the fuse. When I started checking, I found that I had heavy sparking and fuse blowing any time I tried to connect the battery. When I disconnected the two wires from the starter/generator to the regulator, there was no sparking when I connected the battery, and the starter cranked okay. When I check the two posts on the starter/generator, I'm getting continuity between the two which I think I shouldn't be getting. Since I've never worked on one of these, before I tear into this one, I was wondering if someone with experience with them can give me a hint as to where I might find the problem. Thanks.

Blowing fuses is linked to a highly overdrawn or short circuits as in bare wire. I would look for a bare wire rubbing somewhere for starts. You can do that with an ohmeter.

Thanks for the response. I just noticed that I called the tractor a Simplicity. It is an AC B-10, not that it makes a difference for the question.