Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What was the retail price when new?

Michiganmobileman

A question came up today when talking with a friend about my older tractors. After bragging about the amount he spent for the new Sears crapsman (yes spelling is correct you should see all the plastic) he bought, he asked if I had any idea what my 919 AC or 7016 Simplcity cost when new? I have no idea but wondered how many of you have access to this information on your tractors. I see Simple Tractors.com has some prices but only til 1969 on ACs. Anyone out there in posession of a retail price for their tractor or equipment? Would be interesting to see. Greg

Your AC crosses over to a 7119 so this should get you close on that one. Haven't found much yet on the 7016. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/simplicity/mp_tractors5.jpg[/url]

Hi, I remember the first 7117 I got was 3995.00 and had an electric lift on it. I have the tractor in my possession not. It lived a long life in a 26 acre cemetary and then on a farm. I traded for it a couple of years ago. I remember I was really apprehensive about buying it on my initial order. I wasn't sure if I could sell it. I don't remember for sure, but I think this was in the Spring of 81. Al Eden

Hey guys thanks for the replys. He (brother in law) seemed pretty happy with his $1500 sears but I bet it wont be around or in too good of shape 25 years from now. By then I should have about 100 Simplicities or AC's if I keep up at my four per year pace from this year:D. Just looked at a potential spring buy from a customer who is leaving for the winter. Wants to sell his simplicity soverign 18 h twin kohler, cherry shape, housed inside, with mower deck come spring, said he will call me first. Time to start saving up$. Greg

As far as Sears go I have a 1971 Hydro Suburban which, according the the '71 Farm and Ranch Catalogue, cost $1200 without the mower, the mower was another $195. So it really cost about the same as your in-law's new machine. It just shows what has happened to the quality and the low cost to mass-produce these things when given all of the inflation in 36 years, they can sell mowers for the roughly the same price or less.

I paid $1100.00 (tax included) for my 3112V when it was new in 1969. It came with the 48 inch mower deck. It is still earning its keep and runs as good now as it did in 1969. Bet the new plastic models won't last anywhere near 38 years.

Greg, I just bit the bullet and bought a 91 Sovereign with 48" deck for 1K, and it needed a bevel gear box repair. Fixed that, and I'm driving a tank. No more Crapsman steering sector gears for me, I'm on the forth set of plastic in 8 years. It's not really the cost of the parts @ $35.00. It's more the time and aggravation of the 3 hours labor, and the need to do in in the first place. The disposable society abounds...sm02 Greg2

PS... My dad bought a 2000 Sovereign, close to that last year of production. Tractor, Power Steeering, 48" deck, Plow, chains and wheel weights, brand new. $6800.00 Greg

quote:
Originally posted by joshuaareed
I'll bet you won't find a single grease fitting on that new Crapsman either.
IIRC, the few that I have seen in the shop have all had grease fitting, but they aren't worth greasing-:o)

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
As far as Sears go I have a 1971 Hydro Suburban which, according the the '71 Farm and Ranch Catalogue, cost $1200 without the mower, the mower was another $195. So it really cost about the same as your in-law's new machine. It just shows what has happened to the quality and the low cost to mass-produce these things when given all of the inflation in 36 years, they can sell mowers for the roughly the same price or less.
I don't think that's an equal comparison. The new Crapsman is probably just a riding lawnmower. So, an equivient Simplicity would be a Broadmoor or maybe even a Yeoman. Those two Simplicities were probably in the $500 range when new. Funny thing is, my little Yeoman's cut quality would put the new Crapsman's to shame. Plus, my Yeoman will still be running when the Sears is crusherfodder. Tacey

True, it is likely just a lawn tractor but I don't think that even the top end Sears tractors are much over $3000 and with end of the year sales they can be had for about $2000, that's about what my Dad paid for his and about what neighbor paid for his, these were both garden tractors with 12" rims, big decks, and big engines, SO FAR Dad's has held up well but I don't think it has 100 hrs on it yet.

I wouldn't get to proud yet. Think about it, $1400 was a lot of money back in 1971 - a decent new car could be had for twice that. I just sold a 20+ year old MTD that was sold new by Montgomery Wards, it was still running good and would be a very fair comparison to a $850 Wally World Yardman or a $950 Craftsman (if it is even that good) and I got $400 for - probably close to what it sold for new. Buy a new "cheapy" for less than $1000 and get 20+ years use isn't bad. A more accurate comparison would be to compare a 3112V to units that are priced in the $8000 to $9000 range - not the $800 to $900 range.

I have been keeping a Crapsman running for my in-laws for several years that was bought for around $1500 in 1993, or, that is the year the engine was made. It is simply a lawnmower, is still mostly stamped metal, has worn out the first deck, numerous blades, and was and is still *ell on belts! Strange about the belts for the deck is that the replacement deck is the same model and part number as the original, but the belts are different length than the original. I personally would not give what the price of the new head that I put on it earlier this year for the whole shebang! However, I am lusting for the 60s model Crapsman that is sitting in his garage. It appears to be made as well as a Simplicity of the same vintage, but needs a motor, and I have found one of those already.

I had a 63 Crapsman and used it for about 15 years or more, it was the Super 7 to be real honest it was a very good garden tractor.I used it and abused, I mowed all summer,and plowed snow all winter,I even used it to level rock when I re rocked my drive. I Threw a rod out through the block,I cleaned up the crank put in a new rod and rings and J.B. welded the piece back in the block,used it about 5 years that way.I gave it to a friend and he put a new Eng in it and is still using it.