Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunday haul at last....

rsnik

After a steady diet of soda water and sermons on Sunday for a long spell it was a true pleasure to take a Sunday drive and come home with a tractor. This 1978 A/C 608LT may become an engine donor because the engine could be a modern, solid state, bolt in, original looking replica engine for Broadmoor tractors like my 717, 728 etc. The engine has a one wire, throttle/choke which should make installation easy. It has the same length and size shaft only this has one pulley instead of two. Engine starts right up, sounds good. I will be tempted to throw a rebuild kit in it anyway if this works out as a direct replacement. A replica engine without the high maintenance relationship issues sounds good.

It's an 8 HP that has the same dimensions as the 17 and 19 ci engines that go in the 707, 717, 727, 728 etc. Broadmoors. The only difference is that this is a modern engine that is solid state and has a normal starter. My 717 currently has a fried starter/generator/regulator and a rising no-load idle that a new carb and adjusting the governor did not fix. My 728 I originally bought as a like-new condition tractor with a blown motor (the original owner, a retired gentleman, had spent a fortune on service in the fall, but then mice nested under the tin and he ruined the engine the next season). This 8HP engine is a perfect repower for a Broadmoor, but danged if they aren't scarce as hen's teeth. I bid $196.51 on another one on eBay (just the bare engine) and still lost big time, so there are obviously others who want one of these real bad, LOL!