Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New toys this weekend

PeppyDan

I went to Portland swap meet with a few (4) tractors to get rid on Friday of and came home with one. My new tractor is a nice running Simplicity Sovereign 3416 Hydro for $275. It has the 16hp briggs, vickers hydro, and electric lift. The engine starts and runs very good though the generator light stays on, the vickers seems to only be leaking at the seal for the brake drum, and the electric lift works good. The 448" deck is very solid but it has no belt on it so I don't know how good the bearings are. the paint is above average for a machine of this age but it need a new seat. All four headlight also work which is great considering the price and availability of these bulbs. It even has a "guide" rear work light. This may be a keeper though I do have its twin waiting for a full resto.

On Saturday I meet with someone that my brother in law works with and came home with a Powermax for $650 with a snow blower with electric spout rotator, 60" deck, 3 point , and rear pto. It has the original engine in but it is stuck from setting outside. It is definitely on the rough side but my plans are to restore it also, maybe as a Twin Twenty since I already have my dads 9020 Powermax. Dan

The 3416 hydro came with a full set of Massey Ferguson hub caps in fair condition that I plan to sell on eBay to regain some of the money. Dan

This is what I offered the guy a year ago. He backed out of the deal then but did say it was not because of the money but because one of his brothers MAY want to fix it and use it. He called me again last week and said his mom wanted the blower and mower out of her garage so I told him my offer still stands. How many people here have a Twin Twenty that I could reference for the decals and paint if I do it as the Montgomery Wards version? Dan

Rich I think what you are looking at is the center link for the 3 point hitch. The PTO is the same for all the Pow'r Max series tractors 4040, 4041, 9020, 616, 620, 720.

quote:
Originally posted by richp
Is the rear PTO shaft original? it looks huge. I have never seen a 9020 rear pto, but that one dwarfs my 4040 shaft.
quote:
Rich I think what you are looking at is the center link for the 3 point hitch. The PTO is the same for all the Pow'r Max series tractors 4040, 4041, 9020, 616, 620, 720.
UCD is correct, it is the third link you see. Comet66, Thanks, I knew someone had bought a hood recently but had not searched yet to see who. I see that someone on eBay has the hood decals reproduced and for sale. Are the other decals the same or do they use different colors or designs? Dan

If you look at the picture with the access cover off to the driveshafts you can see a black driveshaft that looks about 1 1/2 dia. Mine is like 3/4.

Nice find on the tractors! I have the twin to your 3416H- Only thing i don't have on it are the head lights. A powermax would deffinitly be cool someday! Great price. Stew

This may get better, the previous owner called me yesterday and said that he thinks he found a dozer blade for it behind his barn, "Do you want it too", UUH YEA!!!
quote:
Originally posted by richp
If you look at the picture with the access cover off to the driveshafts you can see a black driveshaft that looks about 1 1/2 dia. Mine is like 3/4.
My mistake, I thought you were asking about at the back of the tractor. I can't answer that question but it does appear to factory to me. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by richp Is the rear PTO shaft original? it looks huge. I have never seen a 9020 rear pto, but that one dwarfs my 4040 shaft.
quote:
Originally posted by richp If you look at the picture with the access cover off to the driveshafts you can see a black driveshaft that looks about 1 1/2 dia. Mine is like 3/4.
PTO shaft & driveshaft are two different animals.

I do have a Twin Twenty. With any luck I'll get some progress on sprucing it up this winter. It's a sharp looking tractor painted in the Blue and Creame. I wish mine were as nice as the one that Joe parted out. I have a lot to do to it but someday hopefully.:)

I had a call today from the previous owner. He had the blade in the back of his truck and if I wanted it, and said I could stop after work and get it. When I got there we agreed on a price of $150 for the blade but he returned $50 because he was not able to find the mule drive for the mower or the top shield for the transmission tunnel. He did tell me that if he came across the mule drive at some point he would still get it to me so there is hope. So the total cost for the 9020 with mower, snow blower, and front dozer blade comes to $750. I would like to find the top shield so if anyone knows where there is one at please contact me but I don't for-see having mowers on both my 9020's at the same time so I'm not as concerned with the mule drive right now. Dan