Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
powermax_paul

Minor Bugs on 4041Rebirth

powermax_paul
Now that my 4041 lives, I have some minor bugs to work out. 1. The tractor starts with carb cleaner sprayed in the carb but not by itself. Once running, however, it'll run on it's own. How many of you Powermax guys have converted to electric fuel pumps on the Onan engines? I've heard the Mastercraft pump that NAPA sells works out nice. Any input? 2. I have seepage at the gas tank seam. Just enough to wrinkle the new paint on the tank. What's the best external sealant to use?

dallenx
Paul, on the tank seepage, do you think jb-weld would work. I've been meaning to look into that because the seam at the pickup tube on my 620 is broken. The tube is forced into place by the fuel line but if I fill to high it leaks like crazy.

michigandon
Hi Paul, The mechanical fuel pump on the Onan CCKB that powers my Fairmont rail speeder became tired and got to the point where it WOULD NOT START unless I poured gas down the carb or put my hand over the intake. Installed and electric fuel pump and it made all the difference in the world. Cold starting is easier now than it ever has been since I owned it! Look for the "Electropulse" brand or equivalent (It is a can-shaped appuratus thiat kinda looks like an inline fuel filter with a wire coming out of the side). Do NOT use one of the "solid-state" types, they are JUNK! Good luck! Don

tbar1.1
Paul, The JB Weld will work just fine as long as the area to be fixed is super clean and free of any dirt. Used it myself on a gas tank and it never leaked again. jayt

Paul, I replaced the pump on one of my 4040s last spring, and this spring I'm going to replace the pump on the other one. The second 4040 pump is OK, but I suspect the leaking diaphragm disease is contagious. I really hate it when the crankcase fills with gasoline. I used a NAPA Universal Electric Fuel Pump P/N 610-1051. JackP