Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Restored my 7112 6-speed

PeppyDan

As usual I forgot to take any pictures before I started a mild restoration on this tractor but here are a few pics of it after the restoration. I plan to use this tractor for most of the day to day chores except mowing so I didn't want to go to extreme work to make it new. I taped off most of the decals and just sanded it then sprayed primer and paint to keep cost down. It came to me without a engine and my brother found a 12 magnum in the junkyard for $5 so it only seemed right to rebuild that engine and install it in this tractor. She runs great and pulls a 48" deck without any problems even up a steep hill(the ags were starting to slip and dig). I have a few weights painted for it and also plan to put wiper fluid in the back wheels for extra weight. I modified the steering box with full bearings and also added the thrust bearing at the base of the front axles. Dan

Thanks for the compliments! I forgot to mention that I was mowing in second gear. I ported and polished the intake & exhaust and had a multi angle valve job done to it. My brother and I bored it for a Kohler .020 oversize piston & rings that I won on eBay for $22 though the engine only needed a .010 oversize bore to clean up. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Beautiful job. Do the front spindle thrust bearings significantly reduce the steering effort? Thanks,
Yes they do make a big difference. Please keep in mind that the steering box also has full bearings now so that could be helping some. If I had to do a comparison, I would say that with a 48" deck on the tractor, it steers about the same as a tractor(with good usable steering) without any deck and possibly with a plow or some other lighter rear attachment to lighten the front end more. This is the third tractor I have done it to and would not redo a tractor without it. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by B.Ikard
Very sharp- Did you use rattle cans or automotive paint? Brent
I used Valspar from Tractor Supply Center for the wheels and hood(International Harvester color) and X-O rust mixed to match from local True Value, both were in quarts. I have a HVLP paint gun for spraying. Dan

Nice work! I can almost smell the paint drying. I'm touching up an old 3410 I just bought. I don't think I do as complete a job as yours, but thanks for the inspiration/motivation. Tacey

Is their a write up about putting full bearings in the stearing box etc? Would this be the same on a 3416H? I have heard/read about the thrust bearings but putting bearings in the box is a new one for me. Stew

quote:
Originally posted by cruzer
Is their a write up about putting full bearings in the steering box etc? Would this be the same on a 3416H? I have heard/read about the thrust bearings but putting bearings in the box is a new one for me. Stew
Yes, I did a complete write up in about February or March of this year. The 3416 could be modified using the same methods as for the 7100 series tractors. Here is a link! http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76676 I normally tear apart every piece, repair if needed, sandblast, primer, paint, then reassemble installing new seals throughout and bearings as needed. Some areas (like the bevel gearbox) get new bearing regardless of the condition of the originals. This is why I am calling this a mild restoration. Dan