Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5216h help

larbob

i have a 5216h it starts and runs but when i give it full speed it dies i pull out the choke and it will keep running what can it be larbob

My 6518 is like that too, same with my friends 5218. The only seem to run with some Choke added. I think its either a dirty carb or air filter problem.

Are they both twins with a solenoid high speed shutoff?. If so you can clean it out with an acetylene torch tip cleaner. I bought one at out local farm store for $2.50 and they come with a variety of sizes. I started out with the smallest and gradually, gently worked my way up until nothing larger would go. Somewhere I dislodged something that cured my ills. Now if you have a high speed adjustable jet, open it up a half turn and see if that help and if it does, then at some point in time you will have to close it down that half turn because it will probably sputter and smoke.

It sounds like it may have a fixed main jet that is partially plugged. I had a Vanguard engine that acted that way till I opened up the main jet .001 beyond what it was when I got it. Ran great after that.

Oz, No points. These carbs can be tricky. I had the same problem on my 6216 until I cut the tip off the fuel solenoid, evidently it was opening far enough to allow enough fuel flow while on WOT. Another thought is the main jet passages themselves are blocked up. These also have a fuel pump on the front of the carb which may not be operating properly. This does not sound like your problem but I have had two of these carbs not work right with a needle spring installed, I removed the spring and just installed the needle and float only and they have worked great.