Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Two-link Tire Chains - Can they be made?

Tacey

I have 2 sets of 4-link tire chains. Can the cross chains be incorporated into one set to make a 2-link set? Anybody ever done it? Thanks. Tacey

I did that a few times. I had a set of four link chains that fit 12 inch tires. I stole the cross sections out of set for 8 inch tires. Mine ended up being 3 link, as I ran out of cross links. It will work. Just takes some time to do it.

I made my first set of tire chains from some old car chains. You definitely can combine two sets to double the amount of links.

Yup I did it this weekend. I used two sets that my neighbor gave me for free. It took a while to do, but with my torch in hand I heated each attaching link up, and w/ a pair of pliers I bent them so that they would come apart, and then I reattached them the same way. Yes I used a simple MAP gas torch as I don't have real torches and I also taught my 6 year old son how to bend steel at the same time. I am sure there is a more simple way, but that is what I had to work with.

I don't have a torch of any kind. I'll try ti the old-fashioned way, brute force...lol Maybe I'll spring for a propane torch. That might help. Thanks for the responses, guys. Tacey

quote:
Originally posted by Tacey
I don't have a torch of any kind. I'll try ti the old-fashioned way, brute force...lol Tacey
That's the way I did it. Use a vice and vice grips.

It is an easy job with a pair of tire chain pliers. They are used to spread the cross chain hooks [img]http://www.tirechain.com/images/crosschainhook2.jpg[/img] to take them apart and then to crimp them to the side chains. I have an antique pair that my Grandfather carried in his truck they are made of flat stock and look something like a large set of side cutters. http://www.tirechain.com/tirechain-pliars.htm

I use bolt cutters to start the spreading where the two pieces of metal touch. Once I get a gap started, then I just drive a screwdriver in the gap to spread the metal apart. After installing the link in the right place, either squeeze in a vice or smack with a hammer to close the link.

I just crank them down in the vice and slip a chisel in the slit and smack it with a hammer,then to install them I use the vice to crimp them. Sure is a lot better ride with the extra links. A friend of mine had a bag of new links he gave me it's allot easer then taking old chain apart.

I use a dremel with a cutting head to separate the chain and use visegrips to separate them further. Vise grips to reattach.

I have made a few sets. It got easier after I got a pair of "chain Pliers" like Maynard refered to above. Works pretty good. GregB

I got 'em done in about two hours. To remove the clip, I used a stout set of needle-nosed pliers, Chan-nel Locks, and a bench vise. I then crimped the clip on with the Chan-nel Locks. The best part is that I used what I had on hand. I still have to buy a couple cross-chains, but that's better than buying a new set of 2-link. Tacey