Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just got a Sunstar, tell me what you think!

kevindb85

Hi. I am new to the forum and new to Simplicity tractors.{always been a JD fan, it's ok to like green and orange, right?} I just bought a Sunstar with the Kohler Magnum 20 engine. It has 1300 hours, but seems like it has been well cared for mechanically, no rust, but the previous owner spray painted over the entire tractor, including the decals!8C Comes with the 3 point hitch and 60" deck.I am buying it from a dealer for $1300. The dealer told me it was a 1992 model, and when I checked with Simplicity, they said it is a 1986/87 model.This makes it a first year model. I know this dealer and know that they just made a mistake on the year. They are great to do business with. My question is, should the price be lowered since it is five years older than than I thought, or is the price at this point determined more by the hours and condition and it does not really matter if it is 15 years old or 20 years old. To my way of thinking, age really isn't a factor at this point. I plan on restoring it completely, and I am having the dealer install 4 new tires {ags on the back} and a 3 point hitch snow blade, and a few other things before I bring it home.{extra cost, of course!} This is a strong tractor, I took it home for a day to really check it out before I bought it. I won't be using it for mowing, have a Grasshopper zero turn for that. This will just be pulling around my implements, and pushing snow. Thanks for any advice, and let me know what you think!

The price seems ok for it. The ones I see on ebay are going for more. also checked machinelocator, they seem higher on there as well.

One good starting point is to check the plug wires on the engine.It has the date code on them as well as the rear wheels. Thanks for joining the best club in the world. Welcome!!!!!

Where is the date code stamped on the rear wheels? I will check them to. I am also going to check the engine code to see what year it was made. Thanks for the tip!

Something else I'd like input on. Since I never plan to mow with this, should I sell the deck to fund the restoration, or should I keep the deck so as to have a complete unit?

If you have the room, I would keep the deck. At leased until you see another tractor that you just have to have!:O}:) As you get into it, see if this somthing that you see your self getting more into. This is a great hobby. If you in fact get the "bug" please consider joining the club. It's $10 a year and well worth it. Welcome friend!:)

With 1300 hrs. I would try and get the price down. I have a 1987 Sunstar that I bought new and love it. My main concern would be that many hours on a Kohler Mag. engine that you don't know the history of. Sunstars are on e-bay occasionally and they don't seem to sell that well, but still a very good tractor.