Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vari-speed

JordB110

Can anyone explain to me or post a link about how the vari-speed transmission works? I would like to know a little more about it. Thanks.

I posted the message below for someone else, it describes the vari-drive in depth, good luck, -BradW Hi, the B-10 drive system is entirely different than the B-110-B-112 drive system. The B-10 used a direct drive system which is a belt from the bevel box to the transmision using an idler pulley for clutch engagement/disengagement. On the B-110/B-112, they used a Variable speed drive system. The variable drive system uses 2 power adjusting pulleys and an idler for the clutch engagment/disengagement action. With the variable drive there are two pulleys on sheaves, it uses a lever by the dash to operate the system. On the lever there are seven positions, 1 being slowest,7 being the fastest. The lever moves a rod which controls the pulleys on the sheaves, when you push it to seven the pulley in the front is all the way together and the pulley on the back is spread apart as wide as the sheave allows this, by this principle,the ground speed would be the fastest in this range at number seven, with a "bigger" pulley in front from having been pushed together and a wider pulley in back, you would have the gear ratio formula for faster speed. In the number one position, you would acheive the slowest ground speed from having the front pulley spread apart as much as the sheave will allow, and the back all the way together and with this gear ratio formuala you will acheive slower ground speed. The system uses 3 forward gears and one reverse gear, in total there would be 21 speeds forward from having 7 ranges in each of the forward gears and you would have 7 reverse ranges since there is only one reverse gear with 7 ranges.So in general the more you move the lever closer to 7, the bigger the front pulley gets and the smaller the rear pulley gets, the more you move the lever to one, the smaller the front pulley gets and the bigger the rear one gets. So to sum this up, you would not be able to use many transmission components from the B-112/B-110 to the B-10, all you could only use is the actual transmission itself from the B-110/B-112/B10 as they used the same 3 speed transmision. The wheel weights on the B-10 are the original factory ones. For the seat you can try and it should work, I took the seat off my B-112 and put it on my Simplicity 700 and I had no problems. You can always try. The B-10 is a great machine and if you use it, you will really enjoy it. Good luck, -BradW

This may help you.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/service/vari-drive_adjustment.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/service/vari-drive_adjustment.htm[/a]