Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hydro filter

GWGAllisfan

Does any one have a cross reference for the 1709322 hydro filter? I want to change the fluid on my 7112, but the local NAPA can't cross this number.

If you have the remote filter in between the BGB and transmission you need NAPA filter 21068. If it is the short filter on the side of the pump I have a NAPA gold series number 1335 on mine.

Randy I'll sidewith Matt on that. Maynard and other of the old pros here can explain it better but aftermarket filters tend to cause problems on hydros. Something about causing flow or pressure problems.

Good points on the OEM filter- The problem down here(Georgia) is there is no dealer to buy one from. I have Stens filters on a couple tractors-no problems with mine. Biggest reason I have that brand is I get Stens parts at cost. I also use ATF with no negative effects. Your mileage may vary however:) Brent

I use Napa and Wix on mine and never had problems with them. Baldwin makes good filters as well. The problem filter that people have had problems with on here is Fram filters. In my opinion Fram is the worst filter for anything. I bet Simplicity never built a filter just had them made to there specifications. Here is a interesting link to a oil filter study. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

In a pinch a few years ago, on a Sunday afternoon, I found out an older model Ford oil filter will fit. I used a Purolator PER1A. It's still on there, not had any problems.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
... The problem filter that people have had problems with on here is Fram filters. In my opinion Fram is the worst filter for anything...
Ditto that, If the threads are right, gasket close, and physical size works, they will toss it into the application guide regardless of the OEM specs for media flow, anti-drain-back valve, pressure release etc... Greg PS WIX is good stuff, if they don't cross it there is a reason.;)

I'd get the Simplicity filter, but as brent said, in this part of the country, knowing the Aftermarket equivalents is vital, since the stocking simplicity dealers are few and far between. I bought the NAPA 1335. Now if I can just get the enthusiasm to actually cahnge the fluid.....