Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro conversion?

GregF

I have a 7010 six speed that I have re-powered with a 16 hp K341S and am thinking about converting it to a hydrostatic drive. I'm looking at a hydro drive unit on ebay that is listed as having come out of a 7013. The change out doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for? I know there are different hydro units that have been used by Simplicity. Is that one reliable? Any comments or advice are welcome. I'm still trying to decide if the cost of the unit plus shipping is worth the joy of having a hydro drive. Greg Feliks

It is a easy switch. Just make sure that you get all the linkages and the control handle. Are you getting the side plates that go from the BGB to the transmission you will need them as well and the cross shaft for the hydro in the BGB is different part number than the 6 speed. It would be easy if you get the whole thing from the BGB back. Shipping could get real expensive. Not sure what a rearend with BGB and everything would weigh 250 to 300 pounds maybe more? http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-7013-Tractor-Hydro-Transmission_W0QQitemZ320172379965QQihZ011QQcategoryZ82242QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem If this is the one that you are looking at you will need the BGB as well. That is a vickers pump and alot of them leak around the pintleshaft. If it were me I thank I would try to find one locally that has a sunstrand pump.

I have all the linkages, rods,lever, etc for a Sunstrand and the side plates too. I need to do a little housecleaning as well... I might have a good final drive assembly. If it is OK all you need is a Sunstrand pump which should ship reasonable. IMHO Hydro is the only way to go. They will run a long, long, time with little maintenance. Brent

Ray, Yes, that's the one I was looking at. I didn't realize that the BGB cross shaft was different for a hydro. Shipping was already looking pretty expensive for this so I will pass on it. Thanks for the insight. Brent, I would be interested in talking with you about the parts you have. If you will send me a PM with your phone number or email, I contact you. Greg Feliks