Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I'm New, I'm Green and I'm Pretty Psyched

grnlark

Evening gentlemen! So I was driving down the street about three hours ago and caught a glimpse of a really cool old tractor for sale on the side of the road (now it's in my garage! :D). Turns out it's a 1957 Simplicity Wonder-boy. Whoa, it's pretty damn cool! It doesn't run. I think the motor is wasted. It spins like a pinwheel. Zero compression. We'll have to diagnose that this weekend. Needless to say though, it's in pretty good shape - in need of a full resto, which I'm totally looking forward to. It'll be a nice winter break from the cars. Just curious if anyone can give me some background on what it is, is it worth anything etc? I paid ten bucks for it (will post pics in a few days) and want to know if it's worthy of keeping original or retrofitting with a modern motor. I have the ability to rebuild it etc. and have no objections to doing a fully stock resto. So, let's hear it! Matt

Welcome aboard, It is probably a tractor that looks like this http://www.simpletractors.com/wards_1962/lawn_trac.htm What is an "instructional technologist" jh

quote:
Originally posted by johnmonkey
Welcome aboard, It is probably a tractor that looks like this http://www.simpletractors.com/wards_1962/lawn_trac.htm What is an "instructional technologist" jh
Actually, it looks exactly like this: http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1957/wonderboy.htm Instructional Technologist - I design and develop online training classes for a major insurance company. sm03

They call that a joy stick model. Once you look around, I'm sure you will want to join the club, there is a treasure trove of info here, most of it free, however if you want a few more perks (ie posting pictures etc) then you should join, the best $10.00 that you will spend. jh

quote:
They call that a joy stick model. Once you look around, I'm sure you will want to join the club, there is a treasure trove of info here, most of it free, however if you want a few more perks (ie posting pictures etc) then you should join, the best $10.00 that you will spend. jh
where do I sign up?

Look at the tool bar above go to "club home" }} "pay club dues". jh ps I don't make any profit off of this and I have been a member for 5-6 years.

I have 3 of those little mowers.(got rid of 2 of them a few years ago)I have all 4 mowers for them. Download the manual on this sight,very helpful.The wonderboy 400's front wheels wear out and are hard to find glad that I have one set that are in ok shape.Good luck with your project.

Robert, How do they work? I'm assuming that you move the stick forward, you go forward and if you pull backwards, it goes backwards? How do you steer? I've often wondered about that.

quote:
I don't make any profit off of this and I have been a member for 5-6 years.
johnmonkey, What do you mean you don't make any profit off this? Don't you profit from the vast knowledge you get for only $10 a year. You must get more than $10 worth of advice, knowledge, and good ole' ribbing. That's a profit in my book. :D:D

quote:
What do you mean you don't make any profit off this? Don't you profit from the vast knowledge you get for only $10 a year. You must get more than $10 worth of advice, knowledge, and good ole' ribbing. That's a profit in my book.
You are right I do profit, just not with greenbacks, although, I probably have saved a dime or two over the years. jh

Matt, Welcome, you know that a 700 wonderboy would look awful good sitting next to the old tiller ride8D. Just let the bat sink his teeth in a little deeper:D, soon you'll be one of us. Just like Dracula, once bit and your a goner.}:)Good Luck

I got some original Wonderboy literature if you are interested give me a PM. Nice find those are cool little machines!!!!!dOd

From Rocky Hill, eh? There are a lot of memebers in Conn. and Mass. You'll have to check out the shows at the Zagray Farm in Colchester. There are 3 a year if you've never been. A lot of members go and display their tractors. Bring you wonderboy.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
From Rocky Hill, eh? There are a lot of memebers in Conn. and Mass. You'll have to check out the shows at the Zagray Farm in Colchester. There are 3 a year if you've never been. A lot of members go and display their tractors. Bring you wonderboy.
Yeah, I saw posts about a Colchester show - wasn't sure if in fact it was referring to CT or not. I'll definitely go! I'd like to get the Wonderboy running in a week or two. Once I get it all working, then I'll start disassembling it! I should have pics posted by the end of the day.