Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

High Build Primer

rsnik

The hood off the 7016H got badly rust etched on top after I stripped it and it sat in the stretched fabric shed for a while where the heat and humidity can get extreme in the summer. I shot it with Rust-Oleum bare metal primer first. Then a coat of R/O #2081 grey automotive primer. Then a coat of R/O #2089 black automotive primer, then shot on multiple coats of Dupli-Color #FP101 grey, high-build, filler primer (found it at Wal-Mart in the automotive department for under $4 for an 11 oz rattle can). I sanded out with 180 grit. You can use a D/A sander on large areas but a lot of hand sanding was needed. The idea is to sand out the soft, chalky filer primer as completely as possible without sanding through the black primer. If necessary, circle low spots with a felt pen and shoot on more filler primer or fill with bondo but don't sand through the black primer or you are wasting money. I came up with good results with the first attempt. A rough, nasty metal surface came out glass smooth as the photos show. You really should shoot another coat of a hard primer over the soft, chalky, filler primer but I did not in this case as I am not on one of them TV shows, LOL! The surface did come up amazingly glass smooth considering how bad off it was to start.

Now that is one slick looking hood, I've used the duplicolor filler primer before and had good results too, forgot how good it worked.